Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Local system user accounts deleted after Mavericks update

Just a note to anyone that might have seen this after upgrading to OSX Server 3 and Mavericks...

I had JIRA and Confluence running on my Mac Mini (10.8). They were running as daemon processes under local system accounts that I created using the dscl utility. After the upgrade neither applications would start. It appeared that both system accounts no longer existed. Oddly, the group to which they both belonged was not removed. I was able to re-create the accounts with dscl and got both applications up and running again.

So if you find any daemons no longer run after the upgrade, check to see if the accounts they are set to run as still exist!

Mac mini, OS X Server, Mavericks 10.9

Posted on Nov 5, 2013 3:24 PM

3 replies

Dec 7, 2013 1:35 AM in response to Paul Verity

I Beleive I have the same issue, but with starting VMWare Fusion Headless with NOGUI, from launchd.

After a reboot console reports:

com.apple.launchd[1]: (com.vmware.headlessvm[64]) getpwnam("localusername") failed

localusername is the user I use to sign on to my mac, and I can even ssh to the mac using that username, once its up booted up.

So I'm a bit confused.

I have to recreate the user? How? What commands?

This used to work just fine before Mavericks Upgrade.

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on the subject.

Local system user accounts deleted after Mavericks update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.