Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Forced to use MDM solution now to deploy free apps to iPads?

I use Configurator on a Macbook to manage about 50 iPads in a school. Previously I would purchase apps via the VPP portal, download via iTunes, import the .ipa file and spreadsheet into Configurator and then deploy to devices.

Now, when I find a free app in VPP, I get the message:

Free apps can only be managed with licenses: Free apps are only available in bulk using managed distribution. Assign apps to users on iOS 7 or later or on OS X 10.9 or later using a Mobile Device Management (MDM) solution. You retain ownership of apps only, allowing you to revoke and reassign them as needed.

With paid apps I'm given the option to download redeemable codes or use a managed distribution system. Does this now mean I have to use an MDM solution to deploy free apps?

Or... Should I be installing free apps a different way?

iPad 2, iOS 7.0.3

Posted on Nov 5, 2013 5:43 PM

14 replies

Nov 8, 2013 12:35 PM in response to HPPS

We are seeing the same thing here, except our app is a B2B free app so our customers can't just download the free app from iTunes. Our customers have previously generated redemption codes using their VPP account and then download the spreadsheet, but now the VPP store is showing "Managed Licenses" instead of "Download Codes". We are now forcing our customers to purchase an MDM solution where they could previously just distribute redemption codes. Also, the new 'managed distribution' model seems to only support iOS7 and higher.

Nov 27, 2013 11:44 AM in response to HPPS

This change dramatically affects me and my business.

At a minimum, Apple should have continued to allow the distribution of the app using redemption codes and given us a year to transition to MDM. That would have allowed time to develop best practises for developers who are in similar situation as me and my clients.

To top it off, there is no real way to have a discussion with Apple about this. I have sent an email to apple thru the "contact us" page with the expectation that it will take 3 days for a response. And if history is any indication, it will be some useless response such as "Are you still having a problem?", to which I will respond "yes", and subsequently wait 3 days for a response.

I see that it is possible to get redeption codes if the app is a paid app. To that end, I am going to change my pricing to $.99 and get a couple hundred redemption codes so I can at least move forward with getting my app deployed.

I would really like to have my apps on the consumer store, but last year Apple forced me to put them on the b2b store.

Dec 3, 2013 4:43 PM in response to HPPS

I have been testing VPP Managed Distribution for my students for the last 4 days now and have found that you can still push free apps to iOS6 devices (despite all documentation to the contrary), but you have to use Profile Manager (Im running Mavericks with OS X Server on a MBP) but it works - HOWEVER, all your students need to have an Apple ID :-( The only other option I guess, is to copy the .ipa files into configurator? Though I suspect you'll get a request for licenses - which, as we now know, we can no longer get via VPP. Major problem!

Dec 3, 2013 6:39 PM in response to HPPS

So, has anyone been able to speak to Apple about this?

As predicted I got a useless response from the VPP program on my initial inquiry. I am now in the second three day waiting period to here from them. Thir initial response is that I should contact itunes support.

Because we have schools involved perhaps you have enough buying power to get this problem escalated?

Dec 4, 2013 8:13 AM in response to pottmi

Charging yourself for a free app is not a solution for the long term. Our problem is that we are stuck. We already have 100' reps on the free system, MDM sounds great but we are not about to switch to MDM to add just 2 reps. Apple should allow us keep using the old system for a grace period and give us time to migrate to new system.

Switching things off without advanced notice is just bad process.

Forced to use MDM solution now to deploy free apps to iPads?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.