Skip navigation

setting events in iCal?

617 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 9, 2013 4:15 PM by Richard Gilpin RSS
Richard Gilpin Level 2 Level 2 (165 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Nov 5, 2013 6:11 PM

I am trying to use iCal in 10.9 in the same manner as I did in the previous operating systems.  ICal does not work the same way.  Either the new iteration of iCal has some hidden feature that I have not yet found, or it is indeed badly designed.

My problem is in adding a new event to a calendar.  As I have in the past, I go to the date on which I want to write a new event.  In the past operating systems, iCal would then open a window on that date.  That editing window would display the proper date.  All I would have to do is type in the identification of the event and choose the applicable times.   Then I would close the window, and the event appeared as I wanted in iCal.

Now, though, in 10.9, when I am at some future date on a calendar in iCal, I click on the date, and up springs the editing window.  This time the editing window opens on today's date.  For example, I clicked on December 3, because I wanted to add an event to December 3.   ICal took me back to today's date on the calendar.  When I go into the editing window, now not only do I have to type in the identification of the event and its time, I also have to type in the date.   And then when I close the window, iCal takes me back to the date on the calendar where I wanted to be in the first place.

It is a lot easier to start at the desired date and add the event there.  This new way of starting every single event at today's date is cumbersome and error-prone. 

Is iCal supposed to operate this way?  Or is there someway of getting iCal to add events directly to a date I select manually, as we always did in the past?

Mac mini (Mid 2010), OS X Mavericks (10.9)
  • Barney-15E Level 7 Level 7 (33,240 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 5, 2013 6:21 PM (in response to Richard Gilpin)

It is not supposed to operate that way, and mine doesn't. It creates a new event on the date I choose.

Have you quit Calendar and re-opened? Log out and back in?

If nothing there, try logging into another account and see if it works correctly. That will help determine if the problem is system-wide or if it is something isolated in your account.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.