Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

phone numbers no longer format in contacts

After upgrading to Mavericks I have noticed that the phone numbers in "Contacts" no longer format.

In Mountain Lion, if I typed a 10 digit number, it would format to : (xxx) nnn-nnnn.

I thought that was a configuration option previously, but I cannot find anything which appears to relate.

I have checked every panel in System Preferences and in Contact's Preferences.

Is this just another Apple Enhancement where they eliminate features?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9), iMac Core i7 2.93GHz 4GB

Posted on Nov 5, 2013 8:43 PM

2 replies

Mar 24, 2014 7:14 AM in response to William H. Magill1

I agree with William. I opened Contacts after upgrading to Mavericks and found that all the hyphens and parentheses in my phone numbers had been removed. WHY? Apparently, the "geniuses" at Apple don't know the purpose of breaking up numbers with hyphens or dashes. They are easier to use and remember for the human brain. There's research supporting that. Obviously, the concern of Apple is to make things easier for its applications and its programmers. Their needs come before the needs of the consumer or end user.

Please enable us to format our contact numbers!!!!

phone numbers no longer format in contacts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.