Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am getting the following message 'he iPhoto Library is locked, on a locked disk, or you do not have permission to make changes to it. iPhoto can try to repair the permissions.'

I can't access iphoto and get the following message 'he iPhoto Library is locked, on a locked disk, or you do not have permission to make changes to it. iPhoto can try to repair the permissions.' What can I do??

MacBook Air

Posted on Nov 6, 2013 3:16 AM

11 replies

Nov 6, 2013 5:10 AM in response to glynm

Couple of things to try:

Restart your mac and try launch iPhoto again.

If that fails:

Go to your Pictures Folder and find the iPhoto Library there. Right (or Control-) Click on the icon and select 'Show Package Contents'. A finder window will open with the Library exposed.

Look there for a file called ‘iPhoto’Lock.data or similar. Drag it to the Desktop. Make no other changes. Start iPhoto. Does that help?

If not: Where is your iPhoto Library stored? If it's on an External Disk, what format is that?

Mar 1, 2014 6:09 AM in response to Yer_Man

the disk is set to ignore ownership., i do understand of poor perfomance due to a wireless conectivity, but i least i can meke it to work then sufffered poor performance but seems that i cant pass that.

i was trying to move the iphotolock.data to de desktop but the following message come up ""the operation can't be completed becacuse you dont have permission to access "iphotolock.data". seems some how that my wifes mackbook dont have persimmion to this computer even she is set as read and wite user permission.

i had use this library on this computer before but after this message appears i have to create a new library.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Apr 20, 2014 10:29 AM in response to glynm

I have iPhoto 9.4.3 and iTunes 11.1.5 on my Mac mini with OS 10.8.5

My problem is similar, except that I do not see any message. I only have a handful of photos (synced from my iPhone) in my iPhoto library, but when I open the library I get this full-screen picture (and pressing Command + esc. does not do anything) and I cannot go any further.

I accessed the contents of the iPhoto library by pressing Control and clicking on the library icon. There was an item called iPhotoLock.data. I dragged it to the desktop and tried again, and this item just reappeared. I am not using wireless as far as my computer is concerned. What can I do?User uploaded file

I am getting the following message 'he iPhoto Library is locked, on a locked disk, or you do not have permission to make changes to it. iPhoto can try to repair the permissions.'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.