Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Education Discount Abroad?

I am a university student in the United States and am travelling in Japan at the moment. Will my student discount work here in Japan?

iBook Dual USB, Mac OS X (10.4.7)

Posted on Jul 9, 2006 1:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 9, 2006 2:27 AM

I know that Apple offers student discounts in a couple of different countries, also here in Sweden. But I have no idea whether a "foreign student" can get these discounts.

I guess the only way to find out is to ask them if the discount applies only to Japanese students or not!
If they do, I guess you can always try to pretend to be a native student! 😀
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 9, 2006 2:27 AM in response to fluffyrabbitfeet

I know that Apple offers student discounts in a couple of different countries, also here in Sweden. But I have no idea whether a "foreign student" can get these discounts.

I guess the only way to find out is to ask them if the discount applies only to Japanese students or not!
If they do, I guess you can always try to pretend to be a native student! 😀

Jul 9, 2006 9:31 AM in response to fluffyrabbitfeet

After perusing the Apple Japan site, education discount section, it seems to say that the school (or relevant public organization) must be on the registered list. The registered list is what we would call a list of accredited schools. Since your university is in the USA, it won't be on that list because only Japanese schools are so accredited. (By the same token, Apple USA does the same thing in reverse.)

But, customer service, for the most part, in Japan is second to none. And if you go into an Apple retail store and let them know you are a visiting US university student, you never know what they might do. The other thing to keep in mind is that you will need them to replace the Japanese keyboard with an English one, unless of course you want the Japanese one---and if so it means you read Japanese and can read the Apple site for yourself.

I just visited my Apple Japan retail store a couple of weeks ago and decided to purchase the black MacBook after seeing it. I asked if they could replace the keyboard, which they did in 20 minutes, but the nice thing was while doing it, they checked the MacBook out, set it up for me, and put in a fully charged battery. While waiting, I mentioned that I would be using it for my work, so I got a business discount as well on the MacBook and Applecare. It wasn't a big discount, but it helped pay for a ram upgrade.

The education discount is only 7%, by the way, so it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, but I remember being a student.

If you do buy one, be sure to throw out the box and anything that indicates you bought it in Japan, or you will pay duty when returning to the US.

MacBook, MacBook Pro, Mac Mini PPC Mac OS X (10.4.7) Dell D500 and GX620 with Windows XP Pro

MacBook, MacBook Pro, Mac Mini PPC Mac OS X (10.4.7) Dell D500 and GX620 with Windows XP Pro

Education Discount Abroad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.