Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine

I am really sorry for this type of question, but can you please explain to me in a better way the statement below so I can understand better the type of back up that TIME MACHINE does. Thank you

" Time Machine keeps hourly backups for the past 24 hours, daily backups for the past month, and weekly backups until your backup drive is full."

Posted on Nov 6, 2013 6:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 6, 2013 11:25 AM

fabio168 wrote:

I am really sorry for this type of question, but can you please explain to me in a better way the statement below so I can understand better the type of back up that TIME MACHINE does. Thank you

" Time Machine keeps hourly backups for the past 24 hours, daily backups for the past month, and weekly backups until your backup drive is full."

1. Hourly backups are kept for the equivalent of one full day

2. At the end of each day, the last hourly backup becomes the daily backup and is kept for one month

3. At the end of each week, the last daily backup becomes the weekly backup and is kept until the drive is full

For an excellent (and better) explanation of how Time Machine works its magic: http://pondini.org/TM/Works.html

Have a nice day.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 6, 2013 11:25 AM in response to fabio168

fabio168 wrote:

1. Hourly backups are kept for the equivalent of one full day

2. At the end of each day, the last hourly backup becomes the daily backup and is kept for one month

3. At the end of each week, the last daily backup becomes the weekly backup and is kept until the drive is full

For an excellent (and better) explanation of how Time Machine works its magic: http://pondini.org/TM/Works.html

Have a nice day.

Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.