Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am unable to erase hard drive after a crash, also cannot reinstall Lion because disk is locked. There seems to be nothing else to do, suggestions? Where do I go from here?

I downloaded Lion 100 days ago (conveniently after the 90 day tech support) now my HDD has crashed and it gets stuck at the apple screen. I then hold command R and go to disc utility try to repair, that doesn't work, and try to erase. But it says error, cannot unmount disk. I then try to reload Lion, but it says the disk is locked. Okay, so do I need a new hard drive? If so that's fine, I just cannot seem to erase this drive to reinstall lion. Also, I don't have a disk to reinstall OSx, as Lion is done via internet.

iMac

Posted on Nov 6, 2013 7:37 AM

3 replies

I am unable to erase hard drive after a crash, also cannot reinstall Lion because disk is locked. There seems to be nothing else to do, suggestions? Where do I go from here?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.