Skip navigation

Ipad Air will not turn on

14202 Views 31 Replies Latest reply: Mar 3, 2014 11:27 PM by sashadkiselev RSS
1 2 3 Previous Next
AppleAI Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Nov 6, 2013 7:45 AM

I bought an unopened Ipad Air 64GB White and Silver Wifi only iPad yesterday.   I left it plugged into the original lightning cable/wall adapter with surge protector overnight and now it will not turn on.  It is completely unresponsive. The iPad Air has not sustained any damage that I can tell.  It was never dropped or any liquids splashed onto it.  There is no discoloration in the screen.  There is no burnt smell noticeable from the device

What I've tried so far:

togged the hold button on and off

Held down both the power and home buttons, at separate times and together

unplugged and replugged the lightning cable (it was charging yesterday)

changed locations for the wall adapter and confirmed that the outlet was working

I'd rather not have to return the device to the store.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

iPad, iOS 7.0.3
  • Diavonex Level 9 Level 9 (58,680 points)
    Nov 6, 2013 7:47 AM (in response to AppleAI)

Try reset iPad a few more times.

Hold down the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button at the same time for at least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears

Note: Data will not be affected.

• Diavonex Level 9 Level 9 (58,680 points)
    Nov 6, 2013 7:57 AM (in response to AppleAI)

You are most welcome

• Victor Savastano Calculating status...
    Nov 22, 2013 4:43 AM (in response to AppleAI)

What's strange is my iPad Air just did the exact same thing.  Ive had it for over 10 days now with no issues, the battery still had 66% left....I turned my head to talk to someone and it just shut off and became unresponsive, I will post here again if the issue repeats itself.

• tandt25 Calculating status...
    Nov 23, 2013 6:55 AM (in response to AppleAI)

I just had the same issue with my IPad Air 64GB.  The reset is what fixed it, but I wonder if there is an underlying issue.  I've only had the IPad for a couple of weeks.

• Hildypup Calculating status...
    Nov 25, 2013 9:33 AM (in response to AppleAI)

I feel better now - I also just had this problem this morning, only difference is my air is a 32GB. I have had it two weeks. This tip worked perfectly, it's just disconcerting that we are all experiencing it.

• Victor Savastano Level 1 Level 1 (140 points)
    Nov 25, 2013 9:51 AM (in response to Hildypup)

Mine is also a 32BG, ATT 4G.  Sorry, should have been specific.  My partner has the exact same Air in White/silver and his did it once too.  We also have had the touchscreen become unresponsive, but ONLY in FaceBook....so I'm not too worried about that.  FaceBook ALWAYS has at least 5 bugs, lol.

• raymond73 Level 3 Level 3 (860 points)
    Nov 25, 2013 9:53 AM (in response to Victor Savastano)

Victor Savastano wrote:

FaceBook ALWAYS has at least 5 bugs, lol.

I see you are running the stable version of FB.

• Victor Savastano Level 1 Level 1 (140 points)
    Nov 25, 2013 10:09 AM (in response to raymond73)

Well, notice I said AT LEAST FIVE!  I tend to avoid FaceBook on my iOS devices unless I NEED to reply to someone ASAP and I'm not near my iMac.  I have yet to see a table iOS FaceBook....and yes, I know you were being sarcastic. :P

• spale011 Calculating status...
    Dec 2, 2013 12:35 PM (in response to AppleAI)

Just came back from Currys/PC World ... Had to replace my iPad Air 64GB WiFi because the same issue.

My one wouldnt reset under any circumstances. Spoke to Apple support and after they took me through troubleshooting the lady suggested to replace it.

Is this common? I never had issues with iPads before. Just wondering is this bad quality control or some software issue.

• raymond73 Level 3 Level 3 (860 points)
    Dec 3, 2013 10:17 AM (in response to spale011)

When you manufacture millions of devices there are bound to be a few with problems. That is what the warranty covers and why the warranty exists.

• coolstorm92 Calculating status...
    Dec 8, 2013 7:35 PM (in response to AppleAI)

Well this just happened to me to. Thinking I may have to return this pile.

• Hildypup Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Dec 9, 2013 5:05 PM (in response to AppleAI)

This has now happened to me 3x in the last 5 weeks.  I have noticed the last 2x that it occured at the same time that I had left my bluetooth keyboard on.  So far I have been remembering to turn off the keyboard when done and the problem has not surfaced again - perhaps a key board not being used goes into a sleep mode or locks up when no longer charged and that puts a lock down on the Air systems?

• coolstorm92 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Dec 9, 2013 5:42 PM (in response to Hildypup)

Yes I think the Bluetooth kybrd going into sleep mode may have triggered the defect for me too.

1 2 3 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.