Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adobe Reader could not open ….because it is not a supported file type

I'm using Safari 6.1 and Adobe Reader 11.0.04. Since (I think) the last Safari update I have had "Adobe Reader blocked for this website" and "Adobe Reader could not open (file) because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged"

I have re-installed Adobe Flash player and the ".....blocked site...." problem appears to be resolved however I get the "...not a supported file type..." message when I try to open the download.

This appears to be a problem with Safari. If I use Google Chrome to download and then open the saved file everything works ok.

Has anyone got any ideas to try, please?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Nov 6, 2013 8:47 AM

16 replies

Nov 9, 2013 7:17 AM in response to welldo

I'm having this problem too. I've saved several web documents as .pdfs. I'm using OS X 10.9 and Adobe Reader 10.1.8. Using iMac 21.5" mid 2011. When I double click to open the pdf I get a dialog box saying, "Adobe Reader could not open 'GG_Hiawatha_Poem.pdf' because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged (for example, it was sent as an email attachment and wasn't correctly decoded)."

Nov 11, 2013 3:00 AM in response to welldo

Same problem here. I've not managed to fix it, and it's a massive problem. The only solution I've found is to use my work PC (a cheap ThinkPad). My expensive MacBook, on the other hand, has caused me problems applying for a visa to India (the completed PDF of the application was 'damaged'), and I can't open any of the PDF journal articles I've downloaded for university. In other words, the essentials basics. Apple have really messed up with the lastest Safari update too - pages often stick and the only solution is to close the window when this happens. A software update is required urgently.

Nov 11, 2013 9:20 AM in response to welldo

I've found a work around to my original posted problem with Safari and .pdf files.

Firstly, I found that downloading the latest Adobe Flash Player http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ allowed me to download and read a .pdf file.

Secondly, I found that saving the file using the Save icon on the downloaded page instead of the File/Save As..... option in Safari works ok.

Hope this helps.

Dec 1, 2013 6:29 AM in response to welldo

welldo wrote:

I'm using Safari 6.1 and Adobe Reader 11.0.04. Since (I think) the last Safari update I have had "Adobe Reader blocked for this website" and "Adobe Reader could not open (file) because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged"

I have re-installed Adobe Flash player and the ".....blocked site...." problem appears to be resolved however I get the "...not a supported file type..." message when I try to open the download.

This appears to be a problem with Safari. If I use Google Chrome to download and then open the saved file everything works ok.

Has anyone got any ideas to try, please?

I had the same "Adobe Reader blocked for this website" problem which was becoming very annoying.😠

Managed to resolve it by going;

Safari-Preferences-Security-Manage Website Settings-Select Adobe Reader from left Colomn-change bottom right "when visiting other websites" to "Allow".

Worked for me, hopefully will for others.🙂

Feb 2, 2014 8:07 AM in response to CCSMG

Hi

Same problem for me. I can't convert my original Word docs to pdfs any more which I've just migrated across from my old computer to newer Mac and getting the same message about corrupt files etc. Even when I can get a pdf saved I still can't open it (I tried creating a new one from Word). I have loads of Word docs and sometimes I need to convert them to pdfs so would appreciate any help.

Incidentally I could convert the Word docs from TextEdit but it messed up all the formatting so that's no good.

Cheers

Apr 6, 2014 6:22 PM in response to welldo

I have the same problem. My bank sttement is a pdf file. I save it on Mac as .pdf (I have Adobe Reader).

When I try to open it I get this message:

Adobe Reader could not open *****.pdf' because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged (for example, it was sent as an email attachment and wasn't correctly decoded).

When I use my old Windows laptop it gets saved and opens without any problem.

CCSMG's solution did not work for me.

Apple needs to fix this.

Meanwhile can anyone help here?

Adobe Reader could not open ….because it is not a supported file type

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.