Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you update an iPod touch 3rd generation wwhen it's on IOS 3.2

How do you update an iPod touch 3rd generation without a computer when it's on IOS 3.2

iPad 2

Posted on Nov 6, 2013 9:04 AM

15 replies

Nov 6, 2013 9:16 AM in response to maddogm3

Are yo sure you have a 3G iPod?

Identifying iPod models

To update

The Settings>General>Software Update comes with iOS 5 and later.

Connect the iPod to your computer and update via iTunes as far as your iPod model allows

iOS: How to update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

A 1G iPod can go to iOS 2.2 via iTunes and iOS 3.1.3 via

Purchasing iOS 3.1 Software Update for iPod touch (1st generation)

https://buy.itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZFinance.woa/wa/touchLegacyLandingPage

A 2G to 4.2.1. Requires iTunes version 10.X. If a Mac it requires OSX 10.5.8 or later.

A 3G to 5.1.1 Requires iTunes version 10.5 or later

Nov 6, 2013 9:49 AM in response to maddogm3

As I said, the Settings>General>Software Update was introduced in iOS 5 so it is not available to you.

You realy have a 2G iPod. Apple only made 32 and 64 GB 3G iPod.

To update

Connect the iPod to your computer and update via iTunes

iOS: How to update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

A 2G to 4.2.1. Requires iTunes version 10.X or higher. If a Mac it requires OSX 10.5.8 or later.

Nov 6, 2013 10:09 AM in response to maddogm3

What makes you think it is an 3G iPod? The back does not give the generation.

This

Identifying iPod models

says

iPod touch (3rd generation)

iPod touch (3rd generation) features a 3.5-inch (diagonal) widescreen multi-touch display and 32 GB or 64 GB flash drive. You can browse the web with Safari and watch YouTube videos with Wi-Fi. You can also search, preview, and buy songs from the iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store on iPod touch.

The iPod touch (3rd generation) can be distinguished from iPod touch (2nd generation) by looking at the back of the device. In the text below the engraving, look for the model number. iPod touch (2nd generation) is model A1288, and iPod touch (3rd generation) is model A1318.

Nov 6, 2013 12:01 PM in response to maddogm3

lllaass is right.

In 2008, Apple released the 2nd generation with 8GB,16GB and 32GB.

In 2009, Apple released the 3rd generation with 16GB and 32 GB. They also sold a 8GB version, but this was the old 2G one.

2nd gen: A1288

3rd gen: A1318

Anyways, you can still upgrade to 4.2.1 on an 2nd gen. Use iTunes.

Enter your serial number (not model number) here to check your generation if you don't believe me: http://selfsolve.apple.com

Aug 1, 2014 7:35 AM in response to Lparker6174

Are yo sure yo do not have a 2G iPod? Those can only go to 4.2.1. What model number is on the back?

This

Identifying iPod models

says

iPod touch (3rd generation)

iPod touch (3rd generation) features a 3.5-inch (diagonal) widescreen multi-touch display and 32 GB or 64 GB flash drive. You can browse the web with Safari and watch YouTube videos with Wi-Fi. You can also search, preview, and buy songs from the iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store on iPod touch.

The iPod touch (3rd generation) can be distinguished from iPod touch (2nd generation) by looking at the back of the device. In the text below the engraving, look for the model number. iPod touch (2nd generation) is model A1288, and iPod touch (3rd generation) is model A1318.

Lparker6174 wrote:

Mine will not give me that option when I hit check updates it just keep telling "This version of the ipod software (4.2.1) is the current version" Will this ipod not go up to 5.0

How do you update an iPod touch 3rd generation wwhen it's on IOS 3.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.