Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Index of chapters?

Hope this isn't a naive question. I currently have (on Pages 5, iMac Intel) my half-finished manuscript as one long document, with spaces between the chapters.

How difficult would it be to transfer each chapter to its own thumbnail on the sidebar (instead of each page) so as to access chapters quickly for editing?

Thanks in advance.

iPad 2, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Nov 6, 2013 8:25 AM

3 replies

Nov 6, 2013 9:05 AM in response to gaginker

All you need to do is put a section break in at the start of each chapter, and it will start on its own 'page' in the thumbnail sidebar.

You can insert section breaks in Pages 5 by placing your cursor at an appropriate location in text (e.g. at start of line with a chapter title in) and going to the Insert menu, and clicking on the Section Break menu item.

Until Apple enable section editing tools in Pages 5 (these appear in manual, but not in the app), inserting a section break is actually not that different to inserting a page break. But presumably they will materialise sooner or later, at which point separate sections might be advantageous compared to page-breaks.

The Insert menu also lets you insert a Section - what this is and how it differs from what happens when you insert a Section Break remains a mystery. I suspect they are either the same, or almost the same.

Index of chapters?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.