Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Since uploading Mavericks, Mail groups will not work. Solution??

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Nov 6, 2013 9:12 AM

24 replies

Nov 6, 2013 9:34 AM in response to bruce8401

The way it works has changed. If you have a Group in your Contacts named 'Dancing' (for example), in Mail, when you create a new email to send to the group just type Dancing in to To field. That's how it works for me.

I preferred it when you could simply drag a group from Contacts to the Mail 'To' field. I guess it's called progress 😟.

Nov 11, 2013 7:16 PM in response to bruce8401

Here's what's been happening for me.

I get the problem intermittently. Before Mavericks, it would work all the time. Now, when I have the problem, I type in the Group "LCA" and hit return, and either nothing happens or LCA just disappears.

Until today, I'd restart Mail and it would work again. But now, I can't get it to work at all, even after duplicating the group in Contacts, etc.

Not sure why.

Nov 30, 2013 5:03 AM in response to bruce8401

It still does not work like it did before (even after the update of Mail, mentionend in the previous post). However, you can have Mailings to groups.

• If you like to Mail to a group "with hidden distribution list": Open Adressbook and right-click / ctrl-click on the group name. Then select to create a mail to this group. The group name will appear in the To: field. (Prior to Maverics, the group name was converted to a blue button like normal adresses - this is missing now, but it works.
  • If you like to Mail to a group having each recipients adress individually: Open Address, select the group, then select all members and drag and drop them to the To: field.

Dec 2, 2013 11:23 AM in response to Christian Fries

User uploaded fileI can't figure out how to multi-select addresses. Right-click or control click--nothing happens. I can only double click each address to get it into the To field, and then have to do it all again.

My steps:

-New message in Mail

-Click on the + sign to the very right of the blank To field

-That opens up the Addresses window.

-I click on the group I want, which lists the people on the right side of the window

-If I right click or Control click, nothing happens. The only thing that does anything is if I click on the actual address; then the address is added to the To field, and the window closes.

Ugh.

Dec 2, 2013 11:30 AM in response to Kevin Schlag

It's a bug. Hopefully it will be fixed soon.

In the meantime, the easiest way is to open the contacts application and right click (or control-click) on a group and choose "send email to group" in the popup. Mail will then have a new compose window open with the contacts in the "to" line. You can cut/paste the whole blob into the cc: or bcc: line if you want that.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.