Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad 3 goes into recovery mode after every update

I purchased an iPad 3 in September 2012. When I installed iOS7, the iPad went into recovery mode and had to be restored to factory settings. Yesterday, I tried installing iOS 7.0.3 and it did the same thing, and I had to restore it from a backup (which I was smart enough to make before installing this update). Before installing iOS 7.0.3, I was having problems with the iPad randomly going to the black apple screen for a few seconds and then returning to normal. Any idea what is going on? Do I have a v

iPad, iOS 7.0.3, iPad 2

Posted on Nov 6, 2013 9:07 AM

3 replies

Nov 8, 2013 8:46 PM in response to nicholevanputt

I had this problem with my wife's iPad when I updated to 7.0.3 via OTA. It was easily fixed for me, and I assume it should work for everyone else.

It appears that sometimes during installation of the OTA update to 7.0.3, it gets stuck in recovery half way through.

You can connect it to iTunes and restore it, which will wipe it, OR you can download TinyUmbrella and kick it out of recovery. Once you do that, the installer should complete normally (it did for me).

1) Download and install TinyUmbrella for your PC/Mac.

2) Make sure iTunes isn't running and connect your device via USB.

3) Open up TinyUmbrella. Your device should show up on the left. Click on it and then choose "exit recovery".

4) Profit.

iPad 3 goes into recovery mode after every update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.