Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is iMovie constantly working in the background?

I recently (and foolishly) installed the free "upgrade" to iMovie. I was in the middle of an ambitious project and didn't expect an "upgrade" to be a change of this magnitude. Almost nothing works the way it used to, and a lot of stuff just doesn't work, period. I'm struggling to pull things together, but my system (MBP, OSX V10.9, 2.2 GH i7, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3) gets slowed down to a crawl, and there's always something going on in the background. It appears that iMovie is constantly "sharing" my movie as I edit it. How can I turn this off?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 6, 2013 9:36 AM

2 replies

Nov 6, 2013 12:05 PM in response to Afterimages

Did that. Didn't work.

My video driver isn't getting enough attention. Video in iMovie is jumpy and my cursor can't even keep up. That is having a significant impact on my opinion of the "niceness" of this app.

The interface to iPhoto blows, transition adjustments are just about impossible (it seems there's some limit beyond the length of neighboring clips, like the total project length, that isn't discussed anywhere), some adjustments (duration of movie visible on the timeline, for example) don't work, titles have gotten a lot less flexible (there are more of them, but you can't tell which aspects are locked on which title), and so on, and so on, and so on.

My own suspicion is that it's a move to drive all of us away from the "free" app to the "Pro" app.

Why is iMovie constantly working in the background?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.