Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5s battery percentage incorrect

I'm not sure if this is an issue with the new iPhone 5s or the iOS 7.0.3 update. The issue is that the battery indicator is not displaying the correct battery percentage.

With my previous iPhone 4, I always turn off my phone before plugging it in to recharge. This would cause the phone to turn on by itself as soon as I plugged it into the outlet. With the iPhone 5s, I still do this but I've gotten lazy and would sometimes plug the phone into the outlet without first turning it off. That's when I started noticing the problem.

When the phone is restarted and charging, after it finishes charging and I unplug the phone the battery percentage shows 100% and everything appears okay. With the phone (power state on) and charging, after it finishes charging the battery percentage shows 100% as well, but as soon as I unplug it from the outlet, it drops down to 97% or 96%. As soon as I restart the phone, the percentage displays correctly at 100%.

I did this several times over the course of the week and noticed that I had to restart the phone in order to get the correct battery percentage. That said, I didn't restart the phone this morning but instead plugged the phone back into the outlet. As soon as I plugged the phone back into the outlet, the percentage showed 100%. Unplugged the phone and it showed 96%. Plugged it back in and it was again 100%. After doing this for the 3rd time, with the phone plugged in, the battery showed 96% so I left it plugged in until it got back to 100%.

I'm not sure what to make of this. Any ideas?

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.0.3

Posted on Nov 6, 2013 11:03 AM

32 replies

Nov 29, 2013 3:59 PM in response to tegq

I've had my iPhone 5s 32GB delivered this week.

It's brand new... I have the exact same problem. It's highly irritating.

It charges to 100%, remove the cable and it drops to 99%, plug it back in, 100%.

Once you turn the phone off and back on, it shows 100%.

It's seriously annoying and throws into doubt if I have a faulty battery or not... if it's doing this after having the phone a day... what will it be like in 24 months time.

I wonder how many thousands or millions will end up with this problem.

Dec 13, 2013 3:22 PM in response to tegq

Exact same problem. Brand new iPhone 5S. After charging, my iPhone shows 100% battery. I unplug it and, without touchung it, within five minutes it says 96%. After that it seems to deplete normally. Very annoying. Also, I can unplug it and in under a minute in shows 99%. I have tried rebooting immediately and it wiil a then read 100%. I have also immediately recharged it back to 100% after the indicator loss and it has held 100% as it normally should.

I never had this issue with my 4S with ios 7. You should not have to recalibrate the battey either. Never did so once on my 4S and never had a issue.

Apple has said that there are battery problems with some 5s iPhones and will replace them. Unless I get a quick resolution, I will take this one back before my 30 days are upand get another.

Dec 20, 2013 11:31 PM in response to tegq

I'm getting exactly the same issue with my iPad Air but not my 5S and have since posted a thread on here before coming across this one.

I've done some research on the inernet and there's quite a few people who claim it's normal. Surprisingly, some people with iPhone 4 and 4S are having the same problem yet don't seem concerned. Some even say it's normal.

I've just been through the problem with Apple Support on chat, completly wiped my iPad, set up as a new user and then re-installed from a back-up. Bizzarely, even during the erase/reset, the battery dropped from 100% to 98% and then filled back up again in a few minutes.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the battery as the life of it during use is no worse than my iPad 2. It seems pretty normal. Given that the battery then shows 100% after a re-boot suggests to me that it's a software issue as opposed to a battery or phone problem.

I'm glad that I took out the two year Apple Care+ for the iPad and my 5S in case it does turn out to be a problem with the devices or batteries.

Dec 23, 2013 5:42 PM in response to Ryan915

Ok, I might have a fix here.........

I contacted Apple support after their first attempt failed.

1. Back up your iPad/iPhone to iTunes on your computer.

2. Turn off Find my iDevice.

3. Then click on the Restore back-up button and let it go through the motions.

Here's the link I was sent if you want to read it through in more detail: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1414?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

This procedure fixed the issue on my iPad Air.

Good luck.

Dec 31, 2013 8:51 AM in response to tegq

I'm no genius or anything, but I'm pretty sure when apple devices charge, they reach 100%, drain back to 95%, then recharge to 100%, as not to continually charge it at 100%. This is just a theory, but maybe when it's doing the 95-100% recharge, it shows 100%, so if you disconnected it, it would display 97% or whatever you were at when you took it off the charger. I'm making this assumption as all of you are experiencing problems in the 95-100% range.

Jan 1, 2014 9:47 PM in response to Brandon Tyler

I've been doing a bit more digging on line and found an interesting article on power saving on the Macworld website. Ok, so it doesn't address the problems that we've been talking about here. However, it does provide a link to a pretty good app called BatterySaver by KS Mobile.

I've installed the app on both my 5S and my Air; amongst other things, it regulates the rate of charge to ensure you get a proper 100% charge. Once it gets to a certain state of charge, it then switches to trickle to charge to ensure a full charge is achieved. I'm no expert either, maybe the phone'iPad does this all by itself, but it's good to know that something is monitoring the charge.

The app asks yu to leave it running in the foreground as you charge your device. I charged my iPad Air before going to sleep last night; firstly, it asked me if I wanted to turn the full charge alarm off as it would complete in the middle of the night and then is said it would recharge at a reduced rate so as not to harm the battery. Very clever.

In case you can't find the app in the App Store, here's the link to the page: http://www.macworld.co.uk/ipad-iphone/news/?newsid=3464705

Scroll down near the bottom and look under the heading "Improve iPhone battery life: Use a third party app".

I have to say, I'm quite impressed with it so far.

Jan 1, 2014 10:01 PM in response to tegq

All iPhones in all iOS versions do the same thing of them displaying higher percentage of battery after doing a restart. I have seen it on hundreds of them.

Why your battery drains quickly could be many factors to that. Do you have LTE on? App Refresh? Location Services? Bluetooth? Brightness all the way up? Email fetch every 1 minute? Then ofcourse you will loose 2-6 percent right away. I know for fact App Refresh kills battery life. It makes charging take longer. I notice that on iPhone 5's specially the phone was at 5% and I turned App refresh off and it jumped to 12% instantly.

In my opinion ios 7 still needs a lot of work. Its not optimized enough for current phones or older phones that support it. Its starting to be like Android just one big bloated OS but unlike it the iOS still lacks some features. I can not wait to see how heavy it will be in 7.1.

Jan 5, 2014 7:05 AM in response to tegq

So guys,

I made a restore on my iPhone 5S, I leave it to drain completly and then I charged to 100% (in order to "learn"the correct percentage) and unfortunately, the problem is still there 😟

Let's hope that this it will be resolved with the new update 7.0.5 or 7.1.

If I will have a little time, I will install 7.1beta and I see the results 😉

iPhone 5s battery percentage incorrect

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.