Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mackeeper

After downloading mackeeper and reading horror story reviews and warnings about the product i imediatley un-instaled it and then emptied my 'trash' on my macbook pro. Is this enough to un-do any damage mackeeper may have done to my new computer? If it has already done damage to my computer is there any way to rectify this? I am extremely worried, after spending a lot of money on a new computer, of the potential damage this software could cause.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Nov 6, 2013 11:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 6, 2013 1:03 PM

MacKeeper, while junk, is not malware as some people are fond of calling it. If you uninstalled it properly (by dragging it to the trash and then allowing it to remove itself when asked), then all components should be gone.

As to damage to your system, did you allow it to do any "cleaning?" If so, it's possible it could have removed something important. Using "cleaning" utilities incurs that risk. If you're not having any problems, I wouldn't worry about it.

At most, you would probably just need to reinstall the system, which can be done on top of the current system. This replaces any potentially damaged or missing components with new ones, and leaves all your data alone, so ideally you wouldn't notice any difference. I don't believe that this should be necessary, but if you do have issues and decide to reinstall, just be sure to make a good set of backups in case something goes wrong.

41 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 6, 2013 1:03 PM in response to Mochaz

MacKeeper, while junk, is not malware as some people are fond of calling it. If you uninstalled it properly (by dragging it to the trash and then allowing it to remove itself when asked), then all components should be gone.

As to damage to your system, did you allow it to do any "cleaning?" If so, it's possible it could have removed something important. Using "cleaning" utilities incurs that risk. If you're not having any problems, I wouldn't worry about it.

At most, you would probably just need to reinstall the system, which can be done on top of the current system. This replaces any potentially damaged or missing components with new ones, and leaves all your data alone, so ideally you wouldn't notice any difference. I don't believe that this should be necessary, but if you do have issues and decide to reinstall, just be sure to make a good set of backups in case something goes wrong.

Dec 4, 2013 3:28 PM in response to Klaus1

Hello - I followed your link and read your comments about MacKeeper. I was surprised recently when I started hearing all the bad press about it. I bought and installed it on my iMac a few months ago but have not experienced any ill effects from it (I read good press for it on Macworld earlier in the year). I haven't used it a lot, but the function I used did its job very well. I'm curious what sort of symptoms one might see on their computer if the software was going to cause problems.

Thanks!

Dec 5, 2013 12:05 PM in response to Klaus1

Hi Klaus,

I just got off a support call with Apple re. slow system response. I asked if they could recommend steps and utilities (e.g. defrag) that I could follow and use to tune my 2007 iMac. We cleared my cache and repaired permissions. Got that much right so far.

The rep recommended MacKeeper! I was doing some research and found your warnings. Can you please point me to tips or utilities that can help me clean up my system? I downloaded Disk Doctor but have not used it yet. Do you have an opinion on that tool?

Dec 5, 2013 12:33 PM in response to PtRays13

The rep recommended MacKeeper!

I find that shocking! Are you sure you were talking to Apple? There are a number of companies that will pretend to be Apple tech support. See Beware of fake tech support.

Can you please point me to tips or utilities that can help me clean up my system?

None are required. See The myth of the dirty Mac.

I downloaded Disk Doctor but have not used it yet. Do you have an opinion on that tool?

It's junk. It's entire existence is predicated on a task that does not need to be done, and may actually do harm (in the short term) to your Mac's performance, as mentioned in the previous link.

Dec 6, 2013 1:00 PM in response to PtRays13

Where Apple calls you? It's been a while since I called Apple support, but that doesn't sound right. On the other hand, there are plenty of fake tech support scams where they call you out of the blue.

Had you actually called Apple support first, and then get put into a "callback queue" as many modern hold systems will do? If so, what number did you call?

The case number won't help... we're not Apple employees here, just other users like you. So it wouldn't be information we could use.

Dec 6, 2013 1:24 PM in response to thomas_r.

I understand. It was definitely Apple Support. I went through the main site and navigated to here:

Talk to Apple Support Now

Provide your phone number and Apple Support will call you now.
Wait time: 2 minutes or less

They called me. Actually several people called me becuase we took some lengthy clean-up steps first. It was the last person who helped me who recommended MacKeeper... I have another ticket open. I'll see if I can find out who was on that case.

Dec 6, 2013 3:14 PM in response to thomas_r.

Hi Thomas,

PtRays is right. When you use Apple support now you sign up online by making an appointment for them to call you. It's much better than sitting and waiting in some queue that takes forever. I had to use Apple support a couple of times (both while the computer was still under warranty) and not once did it seem like I was talking with anyone but Apple. I also appreciate having this forum to come to when having problems with my Mac that's no longer under warranty.

Mackeeper

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.