Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone replacement unlock

So today I went to the Apple Store to get a replacement iPhone 5 because my original one was shutting down unexpectedly. However, once I got the new one I restored to try to get the "Congratulations, your device has been unlocked" screen but I never did. I bought the original device from an Apple Store at full price and it was unlocked from day 1. I don't understand why this device would be locked to AT&T if it's just a replacement of my previous phone, if I already had the unlock why would AT&T lock a replacement?

I have contacted Apple and they said they can't do anything, I contacted AT&T and they said that they're not sure whether I will be granted an unlock given that I used the phone on goPhone for a few weeks. I filled in the AT&T unlock request form anyways and I hope that that works but if not I need to know what I should do? Should I go back to the Apple Store and tell the genius to give me my original phone back? Is it a problem on their end?

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.3

Posted on Nov 6, 2013 11:15 AM

5 replies

Nov 6, 2013 12:17 PM in response to KiltedTim

I should have been more specific, when I got the original device it came with the AT&T sim card pre-installed but I paid full price. Therfore, when I connected it and restored it the first time I recived the "congratulations, your iphone has been unlocked" message. If I received that message for the first one I assumed that I would too for the second one since it wasn't factory unlocked but AT&T unlocked. I have tried putting several sim cards, international and US ones and it says that the sim card is not supported. When I put the AT&T sim card it allows me to use the phone normally without any service.

Nov 6, 2013 12:21 PM in response to boseis

I would make another Genius appointment. If your first device was officially unlocked by AT&T, then it should have been reflected in the Apple database. It could have been a mistake on the part of Apple when they replaced the phone. Of course, none of this would apply if you did not request and have AT&T officially unlock the first device.

Nov 6, 2013 12:31 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

In fact I called Apple and I gave them both my original iPhone's and the new one's serial numbers and they noticed that the first one was unlocked on their servers and the replacement wasn't. I don't know if the phone representative was lazy but she just said that I had to talk to AT&T. I have done that but they only told me to wait and see if the device would be elegible. I'm looking for the best solution (this is the only smartphone I have and I need to use it) given that AT&T might not unlock this new device because of their new policy. I will go talk to a Genius to see if something went wrong there.

iPhone replacement unlock

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.