Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mac book pro won't turn on mavericks

I successfully upgraded to Mavericks 2 weeks ago and have been having sporadic problems.

Today my Mac Book Pro 15" 2012 edition (not retina) turned off while I was using it and will not turn back on.

Anyone have a similiar problem?

MacBook Pro, iOS 7.0.3

Posted on Nov 6, 2013 11:21 AM

8 replies

Nov 8, 2013 6:58 AM in response to ColeSF

Hello ColeSF,

It sounds like you have been using OS X 10.9 for a bit and suddenly in the middle of using it, the computer shut down will not turn back on. I was researching what could be causing this to happen and found this article that should help you troubleshoot the issue named:
Troubleshooting: My computer won't turn on

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1367

1. Verify you have a good connection from your Mac to the wall outlet by confirming the power cord and adapter if present are securely connected and plugged in. To check if the wall outlet is working, plug in a lamp or other electrical device.
  2. If the wall outlet is working and you continue to have no power try another power cord or adapter if available. If it works you may need a replacement cord or adapter.
    Note: See Apple Portables: Troubleshooting MagSafe adapters for further troubleshooting with MagSafe adapters.
  3. Disconnect all accessories that are plugged in to the computer, such as a printer, hub, or other mobile device.
  4. If your Mac supports user-installable memory, solid state drive, or hard drive, and you recently installed any of these, make sure they are installed correctly and are compatible with your computer. If possible, reinstall the original memory or drive into the computer to find out if the behavior persists afterwards.
  5. Reset the SMC.
  6. If you are still unable to start up your computer after trying each of these steps, visit an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP) for further diagnosis. If you plan to visit an Apple Retail Store, make a reservation at the Genius Bar using http://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/ (available in some countries only).Note: Diagnostic fees may apply for issues not covered under warranty or the AppleCare Protection Plan (APP).

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

All the very best,

Sterling

Dec 11, 2013 12:01 PM in response to ColeSF

I'm having the same problem. Never had a problem starting my computer, but after installing Mavericks turning the computer on after a complete shutdown (not just putting it in sleep mode) became sporadic. Now it won't turn on at all.

This is on a MacBook Pro, A226 (Core 2 Duo 2.2 15", 2007).

At first I thought the battery was dead, but the battery shows a full charge and the light on the mag charger is green. It has been plugged in overnight.

I tried to reset the SMC but nothing happened.

Dec 25, 2013 9:56 PM in response to RelSosciTL

My late 2008 Macbook Pro will not turn on either after installing Mavericks. Prior to the update I was on Snow Leopard (10.6.8). Now I have tried with battery, without battery, and two separate MagSafe power chargers.

I can still get it to turn on sometimes (about 1 in 6 chance), but it's not reliable. I may spend 10 minutes trying to get it to power up, and nothing happens. Then I come back in a few hours and try again, and it will power up after the first try.

It's obviously not the MagSafe adapters as they are showing bright green lights. It's not the battery because I've tried it with and without the battery. And I don't think it's the logic board because then it would never boot up at all.

I've never had a laptop I couldn't turn on with a working AC adapter. Pretty disappointed this happened and I will be buying a Chromebook to replace it. But I'd still like to use the MBP as a tertiary desktop, so I'm interesting in resolving this.

What seems to help the computer turn on the next time:

shut it down properly (don't do hibernate or suspend) and leave it plugged into the wall even if there is no battery.

If anyone has other input or similar problems please update.

Edit: Does anyone know if rolling back to Snow Leopard would be helpful? Anyone tried this?

Jan 8, 2014 12:39 AM in response to ColeSF

I'm experiencing the same issue tonight with my MacBook Pro A1226. It shut itself down and eventually came back on with the fans running on full power. I shut it back down, reset the SMC, then it booted back up quietly. However, it shut down again after a few minutes. It seemed a bit hot when it shut down a second time, so I made sure all the fans were clean and they are. I can get it running again after it is shut down but now I cannot get the system to boot up quietly. The fans remain at their highest setting. It seems as though I have to reset the SMC just to get it to come on. Pretty discouraging to see people are having the same problem with the same laptop.

Feb 15, 2014 3:18 PM in response to ColeSF

I have a similar problem with my Mac Pro, intel powered. I spoke with people at the apple store and, as my machine is over five years old and was showing symptoms of boot up problems, it appears that the logic board may need replacing. This doesn't mean that all the problems relate to logic board issues, but it might be worth while having it checked out on older machines.

May 11, 2014 1:33 PM in response to ColeSF

The exact same thing happened to me yesterday. I upgraded to Mavericks about a month ago and yesterday I was transferring stuff from my computer to my tablet and my laptop unexpectedly shut off and will not turn back on. Whenever I plug it in with the charger, the green light blinks and I've tried everything I can to turn it back on, but it's just dead. It was at 42% battery when it shut off. Is this a common problem? Is there any other way I can get it to turn back on or will I have to take it to an apple store or apple computer repair shop to get the issue resolved? My laptop is only over a year old and has never done this before. It is a 2012 MacBook Pro 13-inch with non-retina display. I've tried resetting the SMC by using the appropriate keys and power button, but it has not worked. I hope this problem can be resolved easily.

mac book pro won't turn on mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.