Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The upload folder for icloud photos is missing

Having recently rebuilt my PC, I reinstalled the iCloud Control Panel (version 3.0). I have set it up to point at my iCloud photos folder on my NAS which, in turn, has the usual sub-folders (My Photo Stream, Shared and Uploads). However, when I start up the iCloud Control Panel, it repeatedly and constantly throws up an error message in my task bar stating that "the upload folder for icloud photos is missing". I cant stop the message appearing but if I look at the Photos options in the control panel, I see that it is pointing to the correct folder.

Any ideas?

iPad, Windows 7

Posted on Nov 6, 2013 5:43 PM

14 replies

Dec 19, 2017 5:51 PM in response to k3tonan

For me, I had to fix the permissions of my pictures folder. For some reason, my login credentials' permissions for my pictures folder somehow went missing. I set the pictures folder to inherit the permissions of its parent. This brought back my logins folder permissions. I then deleted the duplicate inherited items and the iCloud service is no longer complaining about my upload folder.

Nov 17, 2013 5:30 PM in response to Haty1

I have been speaking with an Apple Support rep via phone and email over the past few days. He was very accommodating and helpful but unable to resolve the issue himself. He escalated the issue to Engineering/Development and this morning he contacted me again to advise that errors around the use of the Control Panel/Photo Stream and an external drive are a known problem with the development team. Apparently the issue is being investigated and the Support Rep promised to get back to me when he has a further update

Dec 18, 2013 4:18 AM in response to RugbyRiddler

Any news from Apple?
I'm having the same problem. I've tried reinstalling iCloud, but get the same thing the moment I enable photos to be synced. I also tried pointing to a samba share and mapped drive, no difference. It used to work fine, but I've recently rebuilt my machine and reinstalled Windows 7 64 bit (was 32 bit previously)...not sure if this makes a difference. Apple, please help!

Jan 5, 2014 8:38 AM in response to RugbyRiddler

Apple Engineering/Development people -- please fix your code to permit iCloud Control Panel on PC to synch with external drives.

Your code in version 2.x worked; in 3.x failed.

I'm sure you can replicate the issue we all see when the iCloud Photos folder is on an external drive and iCloud Control Panel flashes continuously "the upload folder for iCloud Photos is missing" in the Windows notification area. With iCloud Photos on my FreeNAS drive, this "...iCloud Photos is missing" notification flashes continuously on everything from Windows 7 32-bit to Windows 8.1 64-bit operating systems. iCloud Control Panel versions 3 to 3.1.0.40 all fail to operate as the previous versions 2.x without this error. Storing photos on a local drive is unacceptable and fails to meet our network requirements.

As a long-time supporter of Apple, this is embarrassing when Apple software continues to fail month after month.

Please help.

Feb 8, 2014 9:46 AM in response to RugbyRiddler

The problem may be that your computer is not yet connected to the network (thus cannot access your NAS) at time of login.

Here's a solution that worked for me on Windows 7:

Start > Run > type "gpedit.msc" (without quotes) click ok.

Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Logon > Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon

set this to Enable then reboot.

I got this solution from this support thread:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/60339d17-6901-4c83-a07d-60fd40a947 0c/windows-7-could-not-reconnect-all-network-drives-at-boot-up?forum=peertopeer

I had this problem for both my iCloud folder and a Google Drive folder, both of which are on my NAS. When Win7 started up, both iCloud and Google Drive would complain that their folders were missing. My computer is connected wirelessly to the network, so it takes time to get the connection. (When my computer had a wired connection to the router, I did not experience this issue.) By changing the setting above as I described, Windows waits for the network connection before Win7 login, and thus before iCloud and Google Drive software starts running.

Jul 11, 2015 2:45 PM in response to RugbyRiddler

Jul 12, 2015 7:43 AM i have a message on my pc thats says the upload folder for icloud photos is missingRe: i have a message on my pc thats says the upload folder for icloud photos is missing
Re: i have a message on my pc thats says the upload folder for icloud photos is missingin response to relaxedmuscle

I also had a similar problem. I have Windows 8.1. I uninstalled and reinstalled the iCloud control panel and still had the problem with the error message - The upload folder for iCloud Photos is missing. Use the iCloud control panel to pick a new folder.

After reading relaxedmuscle's response to dragonlady69, I just right clicked on the 'Pictures' folder brought up the properties tab and clicked restore default and it has worked like a charm. I also removed some software as well as disconnected OneDrive so not sure if that messed up with the Pictures folder. I've had no problems since. I think it has something to do with the 'user' directory rather than system directory.

Hope this helps other users who have similar problems with the error message - The upload folder for iCloud Photos is missing. Use the iCloud control panel to pick a new folder.

Sep 2, 2016 8:29 AM in response to Rosa07

This is still an issue with iCloud in windows 10, if you have iCloud pointing to your "Onedrive" pictures folder, which will change connection periodically, causing the error pop-up. In iCloud app, choose 'options' and 'change...' both of the download and upload paths, to C:\Users\'username'\Pictures\iCloud Photos\Upload (and \Download) accordingly.

The upload folder for icloud photos is missing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.