Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you save/save as a file in Mavericks!?!?! Folders greyed out!

This is probably obvious, but I am not getting it!!!

After the Mavericks upgrade, when I save or save as a file to my Documents folder, the dialogue window that displays greys out the first tier of folders, in the Documents folder.

For instance, in Documents, I have a Manuals folder. When I save a manual I save it to the Manual folder in the Documents folder.

Not anymore though, the Manuals folder is greyed out, If there are subfolders inthe the Manuals folder, they are active and I can click on them to select them and save my file to one of those folders. But I don't want to do that, I want to save my file to /Documents/Manuals.

Also, in the save file dialogue window, ALL the files in the folders are displayed as wel, which makes for one heck of a lot of squinty-eyed scrollingl. The Manuals folder is greyed out, and all the files in the Manual folder are listed, and greyed out as well.

This is baffling. For twenty years I have saved, and saved as, files without one single problem.

Now I cannot figure out how to save a file?!?!?!?!

Right now, I save the files to the Desktop, which is not greyed out. Then I have to go to the Desktop and constantly refile every saved file.

If I am in the early stages of dimentia and this is dead obvious, please be tolerant!

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 6, 2013 5:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 6, 2013 5:56 PM

Try this...

Go to your Finder "Go" menu hold the option key and choose Library. Then go to Preferences folder and trash these files:

com.apple.finder.plist

com.apple.sidebarlists.plist

Then, restart, or log out and in again.

(You will have to reset a few finder prefs the way you like them.)

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 6, 2013 5:56 PM in response to dm87

Try this...

Go to your Finder "Go" menu hold the option key and choose Library. Then go to Preferences folder and trash these files:

com.apple.finder.plist

com.apple.sidebarlists.plist

Then, restart, or log out and in again.

(You will have to reset a few finder prefs the way you like them.)

Nov 9, 2013 2:46 AM in response to macjack

I had something similar on my MacBook Pro.

Oddly my new iMac dose't have this issue.

My personal folders are a sub-folder of Dropbox called Documents.

If I go via the Dropbox folder (via my user name sidebar) I can get to the folders and files directly.

If I drag the Documents folder to the Favorites sidebar in Finder and click on it the files were greyed out and inacessible.

That is until I clicked on Arrange (I did Tags) and then they were all visible and accessible!

This seems on my system to be the case with any Folder that I have created that I drag to the sidebar.

One click on Arrange sorts the problem out.

How do you save/save as a file in Mavericks!?!?! Folders greyed out!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.