Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie will not update to the latest version

I currently have iMovie '09 (8.0.6) installed on my iMac running OS X Mavericks. While I have been able to upgrade all of my other iLife and iWork apps, I am prompted to purchase iMovie from the Mac App Store (instead of the button reading 'Free' or 'Update'). This is despite the offer to provide existing users of the software a free upgrade to the latest versions. Apple has not responded to my email requesting support. Has anyone got any suggestions to help me resolve this?

iMovie '09-OTHER, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 6, 2013 5:55 PM

5 replies

Nov 7, 2013 2:16 PM in response to QuickTimeKirk

Thanks for the info. However, I didn't have a problem updating any of my other iWork or iLife apps, despite not upgrading them to the latest versions, with the exception of Pages. Can you please direct me to where it says that you have to have version 9 of iMovie in order to receive the free upgrade? From what I have read on tech sites, if you've owned a previous version of the software, you are eligible for a free upgrade.

Nov 7, 2013 3:22 PM in response to Matthew Morgan

Thanks Matt. I tried logging out of the App Store and logging back in again, but unfortunately it didn't work for me. It says 'Installed' for the other apps in the iLife and iWork suites, but asks me to pay $15.99 for iMovie. It is strange (and a bit disappointing) that it has worked for the other apps but not iMovie, especially now that I have a bit of spare time to organise and edit my video library!

iMovie will not update to the latest version

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.