Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Black screen when waking macbook pro retina from sleep. Mavericks

Hi, ever since I updated to Mavericks i've been having this problem when my early 2012 rmbp wakes up from sleep and the screen is black except the time and battery info. When i start moving my mouse around the screen it's still black UNTIL I click and drag on the desktop wallpaper and whatever selection I clicked, my wallpaper will show. In order to actually use the laptop I either have to restart my computer or click and drag all around the computer screen so everything (wallpaper, app icons on dock, apple logo) will show up. Really strange. Not a big problem, but it is really annoying sometimes. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks, Ryan

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9), Mavericks screen problem

Posted on Nov 6, 2013 7:02 PM

7 replies

Nov 13, 2013 5:55 PM in response to cincinnato

Hi cincinnato - I'm having the same issue and, while not a "fix", I've found that this happens only when the mpb puts itself to sleep. If I put to sleep intentionally, it wakes just fine. So - when it happens - I push the power button (upper right-most key on the keyboard) to put it back to sleep, wait a second, then push the power button again to wake it up and bam, my screen is back to normal. no restart or mouse-drag-redraw required.

Jun 15, 2014 9:18 AM in response to cincinnato

Yep i had the same issue with my MPR fully spec'd that i purchased in Jan this year along with video playback issues, after 6 erase & reinstalls both issue kept happening so last week Apple replaced it with a brand new machine with the same spec and both issues happened just 3hrs after it was out of the box, on both machines there was the same continous message in the console monitor, i think there maybe a faulty upgrade part (ram or HD) which is fitted at build....

Jun 15, 2014 2:35 PM in response to maw964

well, the sad news is that although there are thousands of people with this issue, Apple is NOT going to recall the computers and fix them. This is particularly bad news for me as I am part of a team that is working with the poor in a devastated area of the Philippines and I cannot afford to get a replacment.

I don't know what I am going to do when my Macbook will not wake up anymore....

If anyone has news or suggestions on how to get help from Apple, please forward it to me

Rob

Black screen when waking macbook pro retina from sleep. Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.