Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Second hard drive continually spinning after installing Mavericks

I have installed a second hard drive in place of my optical drive on my MacBook Pro 2010.

Since installing Mavericks, I can hear that it constantly active, performing little bursts of reads or writes every second and never stopping.

This is the case even without any applications running at all. It has only started since installing Mavericks.

If I unmount the drive the problem stops, but no clue is given as to why Mavericks was accessing it (i.e. no errors are thrown).

I am wondering if it is related to the external hard drive issue that people are having:https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5486167

I don't want the hard drive to be continually reading/writing unnecessarily and it's really annoying to continually mount and unmount the drive. This really needs addressing ASAP.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 6, 2013 8:48 PM

13 replies

Nov 7, 2013 9:05 AM in response to Linc Davis

mds is the process with most bytes read and written. It also slowly creeping upwards as the second hard drive spins.

lunchd is the next most. It is also creeping up, but at a much slower rate.

Below that are kernel_task and mds_stores, but these and the ones below appear to be pretty much static.

Here's some grabs of the disk activity with the second hard drive mounted and unmounted.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Nov 7, 2013 9:26 AM in response to paulsoulsby

If you have more than one user account, these instructions must be carried out as an administrator.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

syslog -k Sender mdworker -o -k Sender mds | grep -v 'boxd\|Norm' | tail | open -ef

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C.

Launch the Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Terminal in the icon grid.

Paste into the Terminal window by pressing the key combination command-V. I've tested these instructions only with the Safari web browser. If you use another browser, you may have to press the return key after pasting.

The command may take a noticeable amount of time to run. Wait for a new line ending in a dollar sign (“$”) to appear.

A TextEdit window will open with the output of the command. If the command produced no output, the window will be empty. Post the contents of the TextEdit window (not the Terminal window), if any — the text, please, not a screenshot. The title of the window doesn't matter, and you don't need to post that.

If any personal information appears in the output, anonymize before posting, but don’t remove the context.

Nov 7, 2013 5:15 PM in response to Linc Davis

OK, just followed you instructions. Here's the output of the text file:

Nov 8 01:12:54 paulsousbysmbp2.config mdworker[3075] <Error>: (Warning) Import: Bad path:

--- last message repeated 1 time ---

Nov 8 01:12:54 paulsousbysmbp2.config mdworker[3076] <Error>: (Warning) Import: Bad path:

Nov 8 01:12:54 paulsousbysmbp2.config mdworker[3077] <Error>: (Warning) Import: Bad path:

Nov 8 01:12:54 paulsousbysmbp2.config mdworker[3078] <Error>: (Warning) Import: Bad path:

Nov 8 01:12:54 paulsousbysmbp2.config mdworker[3079] <Error>: (Warning) Import: Bad path:

thanks for your help so far.

Nov 8, 2013 12:59 AM in response to Linc Davis

Hmm, it doesn't seem to show the actual path name. This same error is appearing 1000s times in the log. 13 times at 1:12:54 alone!! Here is one of the logs from 1:12:54

ASLMessageID 1611717

Facility user

GID 89

Host paulsoulsbysmbp2.config

Level 3

PID 3077

ReadGID 80

Sender mdworker

Send_Mach_UUID 7C31F318-19D2-3217-B035-4ED73ED7BB6C

Time 1383873174

TimeNanoSec 626909000

UID 89

Message (Warning) Import: Bad Path:

Could the problem be that the string for the path is empty?

Nov 25, 2013 5:06 AM in response to paulsoulsby

I have the exact opposite problem - just got a new 15" Retina, and my two external USB 3 drives are spinning down within 8 or ten seconds.

All the time.

IOW, click on a folder, WAIT while drive spins up, and as I'm looking for my file or whatever, it spins down. Click on subfolder, WAIT while drive spins up. Quicklook and read a file, drive spins down. Open file, WAIT while drive spins up.

It's extremely frustrating, the equivalent of driving a car down a street with a hundred speed bumps.

But all threads seem to point in the opposite direction - drives not spinning down. :/

Second hard drive continually spinning after installing Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.