Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why won't QT play this .mov file?

The below movie won't play in iTunes, QT, QT 7 Pro, or VLC. QT says I'm missing a 3rd party add-on or plug-in. I've tried to convert it with DiVX and it goes through the process, but the resulting file opens as a movie, but only shows a black screen with the audio.

Can anyone tell me what is it about this file that makes it unplayable? Here's what's in the info window:\

Kind: Quick time movie

Size: 24.6MB

Where: /Users/me/Desktop

Created: December 27, 2011

Modified: Today

Dimensions: 480 x 360

Codecs: H264, ACC

Title: Tate

Duration: 04:36

Authors: Tate

Audio channels: 2

Last opened: Today, 6:40pm

Name (etention): Tate.mov

Open with: QuickTime Player.app

Sharing and Permissions:

You can read and write

Nothing jumps out as a problem for the OSX software. Any ideas?

I appreciate the input.

C

iMac (24-inch Early 2009), OS X Mavericks (10.9), 2 Tb recently installed hard drive

Posted on Nov 7, 2013 3:46 AM

2 replies

Nov 7, 2013 6:12 AM in response to James Williams2

Alright...some new info. I found two files in iTunes--one would play and the other wouldn't. I tried to open each in QT, QT 7 Pro, VLC, DiVX player, with the same results--one worked, one did not.

I opened Get Info on each .mov file and EVERY IMPORTANT DATA POINT was the same.

Kind: QuickTime Movie

Dimensions: 640 x 480

Codecs: H264, ACC

Color profile: SD (6-1-6)

Audio channels: 1

I could Read and Write on both.

So how would one file play and the other one just play audio?

I'm obviously missing something. I'd truly apprecate some insight.

THANKS!

C

Nov 7, 2013 6:42 AM in response to James Williams2

So how would one file play and the other one just play audio?

I'm obviously missing something. I'd truly apprecate some insight.

What is the video data rate? What is the profile? What is the level? Which entropy mode does it use? What other data tracks are embedded in the file that would trigger the missing codec error? Or can you simply post a copy of the file for further examination?

User uploaded file

Why won't QT play this .mov file?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.