Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Grey dashed circle - What could it mean?

Hi everyone 🙂

Just wanted to get some suggestions or feedback on what the grey dashed circle beside my purchased music could mean.

Here's what it looks like from "On This iPod" when the iPod is connected to iTunes. All the songs play fine both on the device and on my PC.

However, I have noticed many people with syncing issues with the new iOS..could it be possibly the reason? Updated to the new iTunes yesterday 11.1.3, hoping something would give, unfortunetly not! Still the same. Suggestions please 🙂 Apple please FIX this...

iPod 5th Gen.

Best,

OrlaG

User uploaded file

iPod touch, iOS 7.0.3, 5th Generation iPod Touch

Posted on Nov 7, 2013 3:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply
22 replies

Nov 8, 2013 7:15 AM in response to lllaass

Yes, have the latest iTunes installed, 11.1.3 hoping that it might do something, until Apple releases another update, things still remain the same. Thank you for your honesty. I am quite certain that it is not my iPod (I.e Hardware problem) as I don't think it would be working at all.

I'll keep an eye out on this forum for any further developments when the new update is released to see if it fixes the problem. :)

Nov 21, 2013 12:50 AM in response to ÓrlaG

Hi!

I also have three songs with this circle, BUT:

* My media library is empty

* iTunes was installed freshly (before that I had removed all Apple Folders from ProgramData, AppData/Local/Roaming)

* iPhone 4s with iOS7.0.4 did not contain any files in the music library -> also empty

What I did was, that I have "toyed" with the music library on my iPhone.

To be more precisely, I have pressed the buttons "Download Song from iCloud" next to those three songs while the iPhone was still connected to iTunes.

Then I had cancelled the download by pressing the buttons again.

After trying to sync iTunes with iPhone again, those 3 broken entries with the grey dotted circle popped up in the msuic folder of the iPhone in iTunes. Remember: the music folder of the media library in iTunes is STILL empty! So no songs there!

I have already tried nearly everything with syncing to get rid of those 3 dead entries with the circle. Nothing helped. Syncing the empty media library did not help, manually deleting the songs from the phone did not help. After synching in iTunes they pop up again in the music folder, although there is nothing to sync.

This really seems to be a bug.

Now I will try my last option: creating a backup, reset the phone and restore it again.

BTW: iCloud sync program is not installed.

Feb 11, 2014 7:30 PM in response to ÓrlaG

I was getting a dotted circle next to movies and tv shows and iTunes simply would not sync them. For both Movies and TV Shows, I have my iPad set to sync a single playlist each. Turns out for me it wasn't working because the Smart Playlist I was syncing was within a playlist folder. I simply moved the playlist to the top level, instead of being in a folder, and it immediately synced everything that was missing on the next attempt.

Grey dashed circle - What could it mean?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.