Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot create new folders on desktop. Cannot drag new items onto desktop. Desktop in Finder opens with Terminal. Not sure if this has anything to do with upgrading to Mavericks but I need help if anyone has ideas. Thank you.

I can no longer create new folders on my desktop. The option to do that is now light gray on the drop down menu and can't be selected.

I cannot drag new items onto desktop any longer either.

The Desktop in Finder opens with Terminal.

Folders and items on Desktop open and work normally.

Not sure if this has anything to do with upgrading to Mavericks but I need help if anyone has ideas.

Thank you.

iMac (17-inch Flat Panel)

Posted on Nov 7, 2013 4:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 7, 2013 4:47 AM

Might be corrupted desktop preferences ...

Open the Finder. From the Finder menu bar click Go > Go to Folder

Type or copy paste the following:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.desktop.plist

Click Go then move the com.apple.desktop.plist file to the Trash.

If that doesn't help, type or copy paste the following:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist

Click Go then move the com.apple.finder.plist file to the Trash.

Restart your Mac.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 7, 2013 4:47 AM in response to dorgeron

Might be corrupted desktop preferences ...

Open the Finder. From the Finder menu bar click Go > Go to Folder

Type or copy paste the following:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.desktop.plist

Click Go then move the com.apple.desktop.plist file to the Trash.

If that doesn't help, type or copy paste the following:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist

Click Go then move the com.apple.finder.plist file to the Trash.

Restart your Mac.

Nov 7, 2013 9:35 AM in response to Carolyn Samit

I tried the first suggestion and got a message saying that Library/Preferences/com.apple.desktop.plist could not be found.

Tried second suggestion. Found and trashed. Restarted and have same problem.

After restarting I do have a new Library/Preferences/com.apple.desktop.plist file. But the same problem remains.

When I look at the Desktop in a Finder window, under Kind it iPhoto library.

It seems that it thinks my Desktop is an iPhoto library.

In the Desktop Info window, can I change "Open with" to something else? If so, what?

Thank you very much for your help!!

Nov 7, 2013 10:29 AM in response to dorgeron

Take these steps if the cursor changes from an arrow to a white "prohibited" symbol when you try to move an icon on the Desktop.

Sometimes the problem may be solved just by logging out or rebooting. Try that first, if you haven't already done it. Otherwise, continue.

Select the icon of your home folder (a house) in the sidebar of a Finder window and open it. The Desktop folder is one of the subfolders. Select it and open the Info window. In the General section of the window, the Kind will be either Folder or something else, such as Anything.

If the Kind is Folder, uncheck the box marked Locked. Close the Info window and test.

If the Kind is not Folder, make sure the Locked box is not checked and that you have Read & Write privileges in the Sharing & Permissions section. Then close the Info window and do as follows.

Back up all data.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

xattr -d com.apple.FinderInfo Desktop

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C.

Launch the Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Terminal in the icon grid.

Paste into the Terminal window (command-V). You should get a new line ending in a dollar sign (“$”). Quit Terminal.

If the problem is now resolved, and if you use iPhoto, continue.

Quit iPhoto if it's running. Launch it while holding down the option key. It will prompt you to select a library. Choose the one you want to use (not the Desktop folder.)

May 14, 2014 4:36 PM in response to Linc Davis

Linc, I am having the same problem on 10.6.8. My desktop shows it is opening with Disc Warrior. Im not sure how this happened but can you tell me how to get it back opening with terminal so I can try your fix?

Thanks for any help as this is a real pain in the *** problem and I'm not sure how it happened.

I did set up a 2nd admin account and it works fine so the issue is limited to my original account but as it is I can't use your fix and I think the opening program is the reason.

ksmac

Cannot create new folders on desktop. Cannot drag new items onto desktop. Desktop in Finder opens with Terminal. Not sure if this has anything to do with upgrading to Mavericks but I need help if anyone has ideas. Thank you.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.