Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photo Stream taking very long time to sync

I took a photo on Tuesday evening with my iPhone 4S, and now it is Thursday morning and it still hasn't appeared in my Photo Stream. I have noticed this problem for at least a couple of months. Photos used to appear immediately in Photo Stream, and now it seems to take ages.

My Photo Stream is full (1000 photos). Is it waiting to delete some old ones first? Is there a way to control when the older pictures drop out?

Thanks!

iPhone 4S, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Nov 7, 2013 7:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 7, 2013 7:49 AM

Photos used to appear immediately in Photo Stream, and now it seems to take ages.

Have you checked for the usual problems? http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4486

• Weak battery - photo stream will not upload, if the battery is low.
  • No Wi-Fi: Photo Stream will not upload over a cellular connection.
  • limit exceeded - too many uploads recently: iCloud: Photo Stream limits

My Photo Stream is full (1000 photos). Is it waiting to delete some old ones first? Is there a way to control when the older pictures drop out?

Photo Stream should delete older photos automatically, but you could try to delete the older ones from your Photo Stream yourself:

You can delete photos from your photo stream the same way you delete other photos from your iOS device or Mac. Just select the photos you want to remove, then tap the trash icon or click Delete. .... When you delete a photo from My Photo Stream on one device, iCloud will automatically delete it from the My Photo Stream album or view on your other devices. Learn more about deleting photos.

Regards

Léonie

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 7, 2013 7:49 AM in response to erict43

Photos used to appear immediately in Photo Stream, and now it seems to take ages.

Have you checked for the usual problems? http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4486

• Weak battery - photo stream will not upload, if the battery is low.
  • No Wi-Fi: Photo Stream will not upload over a cellular connection.
  • limit exceeded - too many uploads recently: iCloud: Photo Stream limits

Photo Stream should delete older photos automatically, but you could try to delete the older ones from your Photo Stream yourself:

You can delete photos from your photo stream the same way you delete other photos from your iOS device or Mac. Just select the photos you want to remove, then tap the trash icon or click Delete. .... When you delete a photo from My Photo Stream on one device, iCloud will automatically delete it from the My Photo Stream album or view on your other devices. Learn more about deleting photos.

Regards

Léonie

Nov 7, 2013 8:08 AM in response to léonie

Thanks for the info!

Question - if I take the photo from the lock screen, does it upload to Photo Stream? Or does it only upload if I use the Camera app in the normal way?

The article you linked says that it uploads when you exit the Camera app and are connected to wifi. My hypothesis is that I took this picture from the lock screen, and even though I was on wifi, I didn't enter and then exit the camera app since then. Maybe this is why it hasn't synchronized...

Nov 8, 2013 9:44 AM in response to erict43

I connected to wifi at home last night. I tried opening the camera app, closing the camera app, opening and closing the actual photo that didn't sync...nothing. That photo is still not in Photo Stream. Photos taken after that one ARE in photo stream. So it's very strange that this particular photo did not sync up.

Nov 8, 2013 10:15 AM in response to erict43

I tried opening the camera app, closing the camera app, opening and closing the actual photo that didn't sync...nothing.

that looks like a bug to me. Like your iPhone were out of sync and assiming the photo were already in the Photo Stream.

Have you tried to share the photo again to the Camera Roll? Perhaps after duplicating it and sharing the new version to the Photo Stream?

Photo Stream taking very long time to sync

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.