Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slide to Power Off IOS7

I recently upgrade my and my wife's phones to IOS7 and now my wife's phone keeps bringing up the "Slide to Power Off" Screen at random and repeatedly. The top botton is in no way pushed in yet it just keeps popping up. Additionally, now the screen will start flashing in and out. I've back up the phone but am concerned about losing all the pictures and things on there if I erase everything and set it up as a new iphone.

Has anyone had this problem and found a way to correct it? I'm worried there may be some corrupted data causing the issue.

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.3

Posted on Nov 7, 2013 7:42 AM

16 replies

Nov 7, 2013 7:45 AM in response to geid98

Does the phone have a case? Check to make sure the case isn't interfering with the button.

Before you go through the effort of restoring, try a reset: Simultaneously hold down the Home and On buttons until the device shuts down. Ignore the off slider if it appears. Once shut down is complete, if it doesn't restart on it own, turn the device back on using the On button. In some cases it also helps to double click the Home button and close all apps BEFORE doing the reset.

Nov 8, 2013 1:53 PM in response to tphillips2006

Well after watching the phone for a while and trying to understand what was going on, and after backing up and restoring a few times, I was able to conclude that the sensor in the wake/sleep button wasn't functioning correctly and was thinking we were pressing the button nearly all the time. I looked in my wife's photos and she had like 100 screenshots which finally solved the issue.

I took it to an apple store and they said it needed a full unit replacement for $270 as I was 46 days out of warranty. I argued politely with the guy for a good 10 to 15 minutes but he refused to make any exceptions. So, I called phone support, within 10 minutes they covered the cost, set it up to be picked up in store and had me scheduled for an appointment. That guy on the phone turned a pretty aggravating expreience into a very pleasant one.

Mar 3, 2014 11:36 PM in response to MJL21

This is what happened to me all day yesterday.

I'm on ios 6. The top button on my iphone 5 doesn't work at all - no response whatsoever. I have never used a case. The phone was brand new in Oct 2013 and obtained direct from Apple in Bluewater (UK). It is only guaranteed for 3 months as it is a replacement for the previous iphone5 where the 'lock switch' only worked if you pressed it on the right-hand side.

I enabled the accessibility button so that I could lock the screen.

The phone was almost unusable and worked intermittently on a call but then would cut off for no reason.

I tried to text and the phone would go to the home screen or show the 'slide to power off' screen and flash on and off 3 or 4 times. I then opened the screen and was able to continue typing the text.

All the apps seemed to work okay but the screen closing down, flasng etc made it unusable.

So far this morning, apart from the lock switch not working, it seems to be funtioning correctly.

I am booked to see Apple Bluewater tomorrow so will report back.

Mar 5, 2014 7:32 AM in response to lilo lill

I have found the solution to the problem, it's the on/off button that has in my case an intermittent fault. The solution is to have it replaced and it solved the problem it's an eletronic strip they have to replace that includes the silence and volume buttons on the side of the phone. hope this helps

It's obviously a weakness with the phone as mine has had quite light usage and is only just a year old from new.

Sep 15, 2014 7:09 AM in response to Kilgore-Trout

I have the same issue on my iPhone 4 after ios 7.1.2 Update

After a while using it , it keeps popping on (slide to power off) somethimes also it will keep sleep/wake itself.

After a restore it was all ok after the next day , same problem persists , the case on it doesnt interfere with the sleep/wake button

I believe its a software issue

what you think ??

Slide to Power Off IOS7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.