Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple, please add *links* (in email) to cancel notifications

When I receive email from other forums, there's a link at the bottom of the email to cancel notifications (on that thread).

But when I receive email from an Apple discussion, there's no such link. So, cancellation is a 5-step process:

1. Click link to view that discussion.

2. Click to log in (since I'm usually not presently logged in).

3. Then a 2nd click to actually log in.

4. Then click/hold Safari's back button to go back 2 pages (since logging in doesn't return us to the page originally viewed).

5. Then click "Stop email notifications."

This is just ridiculous. Seriously.

Please modernize and include -- directly within each email notification -- a link to stop notifications of new posts to that particular thread! Please!

Posted on Nov 7, 2013 8:29 AM

5 replies

Nov 7, 2013 8:45 AM in response to Syncopator

I think you know in the back of your mind that this ought to be directed to feedback 😀. And you also know that you won't get a direct reply from feedback. 😀

I guess the only question about your 5 steps to heaven (just playing Eddie Cochran on iTunes), is that you only stop receiving notifications when you are satisfied with your answers.

But some discussions go on and on, often with a lot of useful info. And if you cut off your emails too early, you may miss it. All the same it will be interesting to see what others think.

Nov 7, 2013 10:21 AM in response to Syncopator

I agree with you totally. A lot of bad will is created by spamming people with emails they didn't realize they requested.

Isn't there some legal issue with this? I seem to recall some law being passed about proper identification in email. Forget much about it.

The state of these forums is pathetic. Why they don't even use the built in mac spell checker.

Don't expect anything to happen quick around here.

*Feedback* For the website use this link.

http://www.apple.com/contact/feedback.html

Nov 7, 2013 12:04 PM in response to seventy one

seventy one wrote:

But some discussions go on and on, often with a lot of useful info. And if you cut off your emails too early, you may miss it. All the same it will be interesting to see what others think.

With all due respect, the point at which someone decides to stop receiving notifications is irrelevant to this thread. 🙂

This thread is about the fact that once someone has decided to stop receiving notifications -- whenever that may be -- it's far too cumbersome to actually do so. There should be an "unsubscribe" link in each email we receive.

I've posted it to feedback. But by posting it here, others may be inspired to do so, as well. 🙂

Nov 7, 2013 12:14 PM in response to rccharles

rccharles wrote:

I agree with you totally. A lot of bad will is created by spamming people with emails they didn't realize they requested.

Isn't there some legal issue with this? I seem to recall some law being passed about proper identification in email. Forget much about it.

*Feedback* For the website use this link.

http://www.apple.com/contact/feedback.html

It seems that you, too, have misunderstood the purpose of my post.

The email notifications are not spam. You are responsible for adjusting the discussion settings to suit your needs. You can specify -- at any time -- whether or not to receive email notifications. If you don't want them, disable them. 🙂

I want to receive notifications, so I've set my account to automatically receive them.

However, there comes a point (perhaps after you've solved a particular problem, etc.) at which you no longer want to receive notifications on a particular topic.

Other forums include -- in each email message -- a link that, when clicked, disables notifications for that particular thread. But the Apple-discussion email notifications do not include such links. My post is about the lack of such links (and nothing more). 🙂

Nov 7, 2013 3:17 PM in response to Syncopator

Stopping all notifications is a multiple step process - follow these instructions here from our Frank Caggiano (they work!!!):

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3661

I have all notifications turned off - period. I simply go by my home page to view anything new. This decision was made for two reasons: a) I have a limit on bandwidth usage from my web based email provider (email is for all things Apple) and b) I prefer to simply do a quick scan of my home page to see what's new - much faster (for me) than to pull up my emails first, open those, and then link to the thread which doesn't go to the latest answer anyway.

Speaking of the latest answer: the software used to run these forums is not Apple's, it is Jive and there are only so many tweaks possible - the hosts keep trying to improve what they can.

Apple, please add *links* (in email) to cancel notifications

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.