Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I changed my Apple ID but icloud will not accept, it still comes up with my old non existent email, how do I change my icloud ID

I changed my apple ID but icloud will not accept keeps asking me to put password on old apple ID, how do I change icloud

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.3

Posted on Nov 7, 2013 9:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 7, 2013 9:21 AM

You have to go to Settings>iCloud, tap Delete Account, provide the password for the old ID when prompted to turn off Find My iPhone, then sign back in with the ID you wish to use. If you don't know the password for your old ID, or if it isn't accepted, go to https//appleid.apple.com, click Manage my Apple ID and sign in with your current iCloud ID. Tap edit next to the primary email account, tap Edit, change it back to your old email address and save the change. Then edit the name of the account to change it back to your old email address. You can now use your current password to turn off Find My iPhone on your device, even though it prompts you for the password for your old account ID. Then go to Settings>iCloud, tap Delete Account and choose Delete from My iDevice when prompted (your iCloud data will still be in iCloud). Next, go back to https//appleid.apple.com and change your primary email address and iCloud ID name back to the way it was. Now you can go to Settings>iCloud and sign in with your current iCloud ID and password.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 7, 2013 9:21 AM in response to Chrissy61

You have to go to Settings>iCloud, tap Delete Account, provide the password for the old ID when prompted to turn off Find My iPhone, then sign back in with the ID you wish to use. If you don't know the password for your old ID, or if it isn't accepted, go to https//appleid.apple.com, click Manage my Apple ID and sign in with your current iCloud ID. Tap edit next to the primary email account, tap Edit, change it back to your old email address and save the change. Then edit the name of the account to change it back to your old email address. You can now use your current password to turn off Find My iPhone on your device, even though it prompts you for the password for your old account ID. Then go to Settings>iCloud, tap Delete Account and choose Delete from My iDevice when prompted (your iCloud data will still be in iCloud). Next, go back to https//appleid.apple.com and change your primary email address and iCloud ID name back to the way it was. Now you can go to Settings>iCloud and sign in with your current iCloud ID and password.

Mar 30, 2016 10:23 AM in response to randers4

Hi randers4!

I followed your instructions, but when I tried to change my e-mail address to the old one a box came up saying that a code had been sent to the address I wanted to change into (the old one). The problem is that I had to change my e-mail address because my old one does not exists anymore. Therefore, I have no way to retrieve the code they are sending. What can I do now? Thank you,

simorype

Oct 12, 2016 6:26 PM in response to randers4

Thank you thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was ready to throw my iPad out the window. I updated to iOS 10 and it fixed the problem on my iPhone but made it worse on my iPad. It kept asking over and over. I really didn't want to try what you suggested. Entering the wrong password didn't sound like a good idea... but it works!

Of course Apple now asks for a verification code sent to your old e-mail address. Just a warning to anyone unlucky enough to not have access to their old account anymore. I was VERY lucky Comcast kept my old account alive even though I terminated service a year ago.

Again, thanks SOOOOOO much!

I changed my Apple ID but icloud will not accept, it still comes up with my old non existent email, how do I change my icloud ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.