Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disc erase failed with the message couldn't unmount disc

I am trying to erase my hard disk after starting up to a grey screen on an iMac running mountain lion

I want to reinstall osx then upgrade to mavericks

Whatever I do, I keep on ending up with the message 'Disc erase failed couldn't unmount disc'

I am currently in grey screen with OSX Utilities and internet access only.

If I have to create a recovery USB stick, how do I do that to use as start up

Disc repair and hardware check say everything seems okay

Aperture 3, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Nov 7, 2013 10:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 7, 2013 10:36 AM

OK, Relax. Are you booted from the Recovery HD partition? If not, then you need to first boot from the Recovery HD before you can erase the Macintosh HD. If you are, then you neeed to do the following:

Select Terminal from the Utilities menu. At the prompt enter:

diskutil list

Press RETURN. From the listing look on the left column for your disk identifier. If will look like /dev/diskn/ where "n" is an integer starting at 0. You should also see the name of the disk such as "Macintosh HD." Note down the disk identifier. For a single drive system this will probably be /dev/disk0.

Now enter:

diskutil unmount force /dev/disk0

Press RETURN. This should unmount the drive so you can now do this:

Install or Reinstall Mavericks, Lion/Mountain Lion from Scratch

Be sure you backup your files to an external drive or second internal drive because the following procedure will remove everything from the hard drive.

Erase the hard drive:

1. Select Disk Utility from the main menu and click on the Continue button.

2. After DU loads select your startup volume (usually Macintosh HD) from the

left side list. Click on the Erase tab in the DU main window.

3. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Optionally, click on

the Security button and set the ZeroData option to one-pass. Click on

the Erase button and wait until the process has completed.

4. Quit DU and return to the main menu.

Reinstall Lion/Mountain Lion, Mavericks: Select Reinstall Lion/Mountain Lion, Mavericks and click on the Install button.

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet if possible

because it is three times faster than wireless.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 7, 2013 10:36 AM in response to kirikiri

OK, Relax. Are you booted from the Recovery HD partition? If not, then you need to first boot from the Recovery HD before you can erase the Macintosh HD. If you are, then you neeed to do the following:

Select Terminal from the Utilities menu. At the prompt enter:

diskutil list

Press RETURN. From the listing look on the left column for your disk identifier. If will look like /dev/diskn/ where "n" is an integer starting at 0. You should also see the name of the disk such as "Macintosh HD." Note down the disk identifier. For a single drive system this will probably be /dev/disk0.

Now enter:

diskutil unmount force /dev/disk0

Press RETURN. This should unmount the drive so you can now do this:

Install or Reinstall Mavericks, Lion/Mountain Lion from Scratch

Be sure you backup your files to an external drive or second internal drive because the following procedure will remove everything from the hard drive.

Erase the hard drive:

1. Select Disk Utility from the main menu and click on the Continue button.

2. After DU loads select your startup volume (usually Macintosh HD) from the

left side list. Click on the Erase tab in the DU main window.

3. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Optionally, click on

the Security button and set the ZeroData option to one-pass. Click on

the Erase button and wait until the process has completed.

4. Quit DU and return to the main menu.

Reinstall Lion/Mountain Lion, Mavericks: Select Reinstall Lion/Mountain Lion, Mavericks and click on the Install button.

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet if possible

because it is three times faster than wireless.

May 16, 2014 4:45 AM in response to Kappy

I did as you wrote but got the following message:

disk0 was already unmounted or it has a partitioning scheme so use "diskutil unmountDisk" instead. I used the command and got this:

Usage: diskutil u[n]mountDisk ... will operate on all partitions of that disk, and will do so whether a whole disk or a partition was specified.

But still when I want to remove bootcamp or Macintosh HD partition I recieve the couldn'n unmount error. I want to erase both partitions and make one.

May 19, 2014 7:18 AM in response to mister_eeee

I found the solution! Try booting your system using a bootable usb drive containing mavericks and then partition your mac os drive from there (if this is what you want to do and don't know how to). You can't partition the drive because your recovery drive is a part of your mac os drive and it can't be unmounted. If you don't know how to make a bootable os x usb drive check this out :

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/apple-in-the-enterprise/how-to-create-a-bootabl e-usb-to-install-os-x-mavericks/

Sep 29, 2014 10:48 PM in response to kirikiri

I had the same problem. Boot up your computer as you normally do. Restart your computer and when you hear the Mac "chime" immediatey click on the "option" key. Choose to boot through "Recovery HD".

Now repeat what you initially tried to do, erase the Mac HD with Disk Utility. Once that has completed, exit that screen and then choose to reinstall your OS X.

Disc erase failed with the message couldn't unmount disc

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.