Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

messages app files?

Hi, this may be an unecessary question but I just wanted to double check with the experts. I was trying to migrate my conversation history in the messages app on OS X Mavericks to a new macbook pro with Mavericks but I misunderstood the instructions to move the messages folder in the go menu [option] key-> library, and instead moved and over-wrote and merged the files from the system folder and user/library/system folder multiple times. I had to "authenticate" to copy the files each time. (I did it over and over again because I coudln't figure out why my conversations were not transferring and I permissions repair resulted in numerous fixes).

In the end I found my mistake, moved the correct folder and my conversation history migrated. Permissions repair are all fine and on the surface, functionally, the app is working just like it used to.

So my question is: would overwriting and merging all those files that I think I should not have done initially destabilize or negatively affect the app overall? Or are they just little account preference files and such that are ok now that the permissions were all fixed on them?

thanks! =D

-L

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 7, 2013 10:39 AM

There are no replies.

messages app files?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.