Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't modify partition options in v10.8.5

I am trying to update OS 10.8.5 to Mavericks and I'm getting the "this disk does not use the GUID partition scheme...". Since I already have OS 10.8.5 installed, I assumed the root partition was already using the GUID partition scheme. While the recommended course of action is modify the partition options within the Disk Utility>>Partitions tab, the 'options' button below the partition display is grayed out for all partitions including the OS partition. I confirmed that FileVault is NOT enabled for any partitions. So why is still grayed out? Or more importantly, how can I unlock these features or refresh the GUID status as far as it's seen by Mavericks installation? FYI, I repaired disk permissions without incident and the problem persists. What is also puzzling is that the Mavericks gives me the option to install on the second hard drive I have installed in my MacBook Pro. For starters, I'd like to be able to access partition options.

Any help would be much appreciated!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Nov 7, 2013 11:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 7, 2013 3:10 PM

In order to change the partition mapping scheme, you must reformat the disk

A reformat will mean that all data will be lost

I suggest that you clone youe system disk to an external then boot from the clone.

Once booted from the clone you should be able to reformat the internal disk

Then clone back to it

Allan

3 replies

Can't modify partition options in v10.8.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.