Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Serious cover flow issue in the Mac OS X 10.9 Finder

Just updated my MacBook Pro (2.4GHz i7, 8GB RAM) to Mavericks, and I've encountered a serious issue when browsing folders containing large numbers of images (1,000+) in cover flow mode in the Finder. Something about cover flow view in the Mavericks Finder takes much longer to "catch up" with the user than it did in previous versions of iOS; in some cases the window becomes hopelessly garbled, with a completely different file being selected than is displayed in the cover flow. The problem is exacerbated if you move a file to another folder or the trash: the cover flow can remain cached and never recovers.

The issue just caused me to commit a horrible faux pas: a client asked me to send a slide deck I'd been working on, and I found it in cover flow -- but when I went to select and drag it into an email, apparently I sent the file adjacent to it. I went back to the folder, and sure enough, the file selected was one file off from its representation in cover flow.

This is not, I repeat, NOT, operator error. 🙂 This is 100% reproducible. I'm flipping through a folder with 5,000+ images in cover flow right now, and when I stop on a given file, the image above is not always the file that's selected. I've reproduced the bug on two different machines: my MacBook Pro and my spouse's MacBook Air.

[Finally found another thread confirming that others are seeing this issue, but I'll leave this discussion here too, since it adds detail.]

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9), 23" ACD, 1TB WD HDD

Posted on Nov 7, 2013 11:30 AM

5 replies

Nov 19, 2013 6:24 PM in response to Eric Westby

With this iMac Mavericks' coverflow is indeed a bummer with the sync between the image shown and the finder selection out of sync by the number of miles moved to another folder. If that folder is the trash I may well have selected the wrong image out of cover flow and tossed it. Really messy. This is a horrible bug for photographers trying to do a quick photo run through.

Serious cover flow issue in the Mac OS X 10.9 Finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.