Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I have access to Standard Users accounts if I am an Administrator?

I run a department with 4 Mac minis. Before today they all had a generic user and a common password. Using ARD I could access all of them at any time.

Its been determined that we need to set up individual users on these machines. If the individual user changes his password, I no longer have access to the machine.

All of the users are set up as Standard Users

I have an Administrator user on every machine.

Is there a way I can open my Admin user while they are logged in? Even in Curtain mode?

Is there a way, I can see and control their desktop without their password.

I need to install, update and make changes to software on these machines, but I want them to have passwords so they can keep their private company email on there.

Any suggestions?

Im running OS 10.9

The other macs are running 10.6.8

all ARD versions are 3.5.4

Apple Remote Desktop-OTHER, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 7, 2013 11:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 7, 2013 12:26 PM

Nevermind! I fixed my own problem.

Delete the computers in ARD "All Computers" (take note of the IP addresses first)

Go to the scanner and search for the IP address.

You now have access.

1 reply

Can I have access to Standard Users accounts if I am an Administrator?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.