Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it normal for the iPad air to run hot?

I've had my iPad for about three days now. When I use it for more than a couple of hours it tends to get pretty warm on the backside. I was just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this, if it's normal or is there a problem.

iPad, iOS 7.0.3, iPad Air

Posted on Nov 7, 2013 12:10 PM

24 replies

Nov 7, 2013 12:16 PM in response to qujojomecha

The iPad 3, the iPad 4 run a good bit warmer than the iPad 1 and 2 ran. The iPad Air would be no different than the 3 or 4 in this regard. It should not be too hot to handle under any circumstances, but it can get warm when you use it for hours at a time.

If you have concerned about how warm it is getting, take it to an Apple Store and let them take a look - or a touch in this case.

Nov 7, 2013 12:19 PM in response to qujojomecha

I can't speak for the Air but I do own a mini, a 3rd gen and a 4th gen and they all get warm on the back with continuous use. It also depends on what you are doing with it...games will almost always generate more heat than other types of apps. If it's too hot to hold, there's a problem. If you feel it's running too warm/hot for your personal comfort zone, make a Genius Bar appointment and have the unit evaluated.

Nov 7, 2013 12:23 PM in response to qujojomecha

I just checked the back of my iPad air 64 GB cellular that has been in continuous use for at least 5 hours.

The back is warm but it is definitely not hot. If you feel the iPad is running too hot I suggest that you have it looked at by Apple. Make an appointment at an Apple Store to have your device examined by a technician. Or contact Apple Support.

Nov 13, 2013 9:08 PM in response to qujojomecha

I've had this ipad air since 11/1/2013 and it really runs cool. I've had ipad 2,3,&4 and it's even cooler than ipad 2. However, when I take it outside and it's exposed to the sun even for just few minutes, it gets really hot, hotter than ipad 3 or 4. It wasn't even a hot day, around mid 80's and ipad felt like 110 degrees. Did anybody have similar experience?

Is it normal for the iPad air to run hot?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.