Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

playlist didn't transfer to new computer, music did

all music came over, but playlists didn't I don't have apple computer, i have an ipod

iPod shuffle

Posted on Nov 7, 2013 2:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 7, 2013 3:09 PM

First on the original computer, find your "iTunes Music Library.xml" file. See the following document for instructions on where to find it (note that it's the .xml file you're looking for):

iTunes: What are the iTunes library files?

Transfer a copy of that file across to the new computer. (Via email or thumb drive, etc.)

Launch iTunes on the new PC and import the iTunes Music Library.xml file from the old PC. To do that on iTunes for Windows, you go "File > Library > Import Playlist" as per the following screenshot:

User uploaded file

Browse to the location of the iTunes Music Library.xml file from the other computer, select it and then open it.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 7, 2013 3:09 PM in response to pam177

First on the original computer, find your "iTunes Music Library.xml" file. See the following document for instructions on where to find it (note that it's the .xml file you're looking for):

iTunes: What are the iTunes library files?

Transfer a copy of that file across to the new computer. (Via email or thumb drive, etc.)

Launch iTunes on the new PC and import the iTunes Music Library.xml file from the old PC. To do that on iTunes for Windows, you go "File > Library > Import Playlist" as per the following screenshot:

User uploaded file

Browse to the location of the iTunes Music Library.xml file from the other computer, select it and then open it.

Dec 30, 2013 11:31 AM in response to pam177

I'm in a similar spot. I have a new computer (a Windows 7 laptop), a new iPod classic and an ancient 4th gen iPod. I'm trying to transfer the playlists to the new computer from the old iPod so I can then sync the new one, but they aren't transferring from the old iPod into iTunes. The music files are there, but no playlists.

Any ideas? I tried doing the import instructions above, but no luck. I also tries using a program called iExplorer that advertised being able to get the playlists into iTunes. Based on what I read above, I also looked for an .xml file, but only found the new one that iTunes created when I installed it on the computer. Thanks for any help/ideas you might have.

Apr 17, 2014 2:21 PM in response to b noir

My hard drive died on my old computer (which had Snow Leopard) but I was able to recover all of my files onto an external hard drive. I've tried all of these steps to import it onto my new comp (with Mavericks), but I receive an error saying it can't be imported due to an unknown error (-50). Any other ideas? Or am I up a creek? Thanks for any help.

Nov 14, 2014 9:52 AM in response to b noir

I am using home sharing on a windows 7 desktop and a windows 7 laptop...all the music has transferred but no playlists. When I go to the new computer there is no file>library>import playlist tab only the menu tab in top left corner.

I have now spent 8 hours today trying to transfer my library from one computer to another and am about to give up completely. Any help would be really welcome

playlist didn't transfer to new computer, music did

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.