Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Software Updates

Hi, can anyone tell me how to determine the size of software updates? I am restricted to 8GB per month so have to be carefully manage downloads.

iMac

Posted on Nov 7, 2013 4:09 PM

9 replies

Nov 7, 2013 7:33 PM in response to charlie_juxgold

Here is the link to the manual download of the new Mail update for Mavericks:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1703

It mentioned the file size. If you are on Mavericks, you can go to Apple Support > Downloads > drill down to what you are looking for and visually check for the sizes. That's about the best I can think of since they discontinued the old Software Update which had all that information. Apple thinks that everyone is on lightning fibre with unlimited bandwidth.

Nov 9, 2013 3:18 PM in response to babowa

Thanks Bobowa, but i'm still on Lion - it's a 5+GB download which will use most of my 8GB for the month! With Lion, I click on the Apple, Software Update (which opens the app store). I see a list of all the updates available with "More" links which either expand with more info or link to the knowledge base on the apple website ... but no info re size! (unless I'm going blind... which I am a bit 🙂 )

User uploaded file

Nov 9, 2013 3:44 PM in response to charlie_juxgold

No, the app store doesn't show sizes - you have to go to Apple support > downloads to find the file size:

http://support.apple.com/downloads/

The easiest way to navigate is to click on 'browse by product' then search for the one you are looking for (after checking in Software Update what it is). It will show you the file size.

And yes, I know Mavericks is more than 5 GB - I'd take it to an Apple store and have them download it for me.

Nov 9, 2013 6:11 PM in response to charlie_juxgold

Good idea with the Macbook - make sure that you do NOT install while still at the store as the installer will self destruct after installing. So, copy the installer from the Applications folder to another folder or drive to use with another machine, then install. On the other machine, simply drop it into the Applications folder and double click to install.

Jun 21, 2014 6:51 PM in response to babowa

Well isn't that just lovely. Apple (and Adobe, incidentally) need to realize that not all their customers are their ideal customer, living in a city with screaming bandwidth and bottomless pockets.
I had the same question, and I need to know the size of updates for the same reason as the OP. Moreover, those of us who live in the boonies and have satellite internet because it's the only thing available, are also far from Apple stores. Sixty-five miles one way in my case. I get the large updates at my daughter's house in the city.
Thanks for the info, and no thanks to Apple for making something that worked well (the old Software Update) into an annoyance. That, and the repeated reminders to download and the insistence that I change my settings to let the Mac download automatically. If I wanted that, I would have bought a Windows PC.

Software Updates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.