Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Error Code -50" when moving macbook pro?

Hello!

I'm having an issue that I can't exactly find anywhere else. Starting in August or so, my hard drive started having issues with error code -50, almost always when I moved the computer suddenly (setting it on a table, standing up with it too quickly, etc) or not-excessively-gently, although occasionally it happens without any movement. The computer still functions fundamentally "normally," but I can't use the internet (probably because the cache can't be accessed) and I can't open or save files. The issue corrects itself when I restart the computer, and probably repeats itself a few times a week.

It didn't start happening until I replaced my 320gb hard drive with a 500gb one and upgraded my 4gb RAM to 8gb at the same time. Thinking it was the hard drive, I took it back out and replaced my original hard drive, but the problem persisted. I did not try replacing the new RAM back with the original, but could bad RAM even contribute to the problem?

Thank you!

macbook pro, Mac OS X (10.6.1)

Posted on Nov 7, 2013 4:56 PM

7 replies

Nov 7, 2013 5:04 PM in response to glowsun

CLICKY CLICK----> Negative Value Error Codes

Disconnect all devices from the computer then do the following:

Boot up from your Snow Leopard Install DVD while holding down the "c" key.

Select the language you wish to use, and then choose "Disk Utility" from the menu bar.

Your HD should appear in a panel on the left hand side of the window which opens. Select it and then click on the "repair disk" button in the right hand section of the window.

Once this process has been completed restart your computer and repair permissions directly from Disk Utility.

If Disk Utility is unable to complete the repair, you will need to use a stronger 3rd party utility like DiskWarrior, Techtool PRO (not Deluxe) or Drive Genius.

Mac OS X (10.6.1)

Use Software Update or the OS 10.6.8 combo update to update your OS. Also, update everything SU has to offer for your computer. When done, repair permissions and restart your computer.

User uploaded file

Nov 8, 2013 11:31 AM in response to glowsun

besides, is it likely that the exact same issue would arise with both drives?

More than likely if you transfered a corrupted OS from old to new drive. Did you click on the link I posted? Did you update your OS as previously suggested?

I am out of suggestions. If no one else chimes in here, take your MBP to your local AS or an AASP. Diagnostic testing is FREE!

User uploaded file

Nov 8, 2013 3:39 PM in response to glowsun

glowsun wrote:

The 10.6.1 listed in my first post is wrong, my mistake. I'm running 10.6.8

Please correct your system profile. Thank you. This will help in providing you w/correct troubleshooting suggestions.

If the problem is that the OS is indeed corrupted, how could I rectify that?

You never provided us w/the outcome of running DU directly from your system DVD. If you have a stronger 3rd party utility like DiskWarrior, Techtool PRO (not Deluxe) or Drive Genius, use one of them.

Will request that the HOST move your post to the SL forum.

User uploaded file

"Error Code -50" when moving macbook pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.