Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hopefully simple/dumb RAID 1/Xserve question

Is replacing a dead hard drive on my XServe (Early 2008, Snow Leopard) running a RAID 1 config (two drives) just as simple as pulling the dead one out and inserting the new one (same capacity, specs), without powering down?

PS. Yes, the data is backed up.

Posted on Nov 7, 2013 6:40 PM

4 replies

Nov 18, 2013 10:41 AM in response to beatle20359

Thanks for the response, Beatle. Here's where I'm at now...

I pulled the dead hard drive out and installed the new one. Server remains online and accessible, but now when I look at the RAID Set in DiskUtility, the dead drive is now listed as 'Missing' and the RAID status is still shown as 'Degraded'. There is a lock icon shown to the right of the RAID set as well as each of the listed Slices of the RAID.

The 'Delete' and 'Rebuild' buttons are grayed out, as is the plus sign button over to the left. The minus sign button is available, but it looks like this button would delete the RAID completely, which is something I don't want to do - I only want to remove the bad slice and add the new drive as a slice so that the mirror will rebuild.

Any clues how to proceed next? The data is still being backed up via TIme Machine, but is taking for-evvvvvver to for the backup to complete (one of the symptoms that led me to discover the dead drive in the first place). I'd really like to avoid having to do a restore right now if possible.

Cheers,

- Billy

Message was edited by: billyverde (typo)

Nov 18, 2013 10:43 PM in response to billyverde

Mac OS X won't automatically rebuild the array just because you inservers a new disk. You'll need to add the replacement disk to the array before it will restore your mirror.

In Disk Utiity.app you should be able to drag your new drive from the left side into the RAID info pane, then you should be able to click the 'Rebuid' button.

Failing that, use the command line. I forget the exact format under 10.6, but the command line help should make it clear enough.

Dec 2, 2013 9:32 AM in response to Camelot

Thanks, Camelot. I dragged the new drive from the left-hand sidebar into the existing array. The drive appears there as a 'New Member', but the 'Rebuild' button is grayed out. Any idea how to make the button active?

Also the bad drive which was removed still shows up in the array as 'Missing' with no apparent way to remove it. And the RAID itself still has a status of 'Degraded'. Any clues? I can provide screenshots if it would be helpful.

- Billy

Hopefully simple/dumb RAID 1/Xserve question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.