Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to setup Apple Routers with Magic Jack Plus (MJ+)

So I have got my Time Capsule setup to run my Magic Jack Plus (MJ+).

I am currently running Mavericks, Version 7.6.4 firmware on my non-wireless AC Time Capsule (TC).

1. Make sure you can make calls with your Magic Jack from your computer. (requires a USB 2.0 port, does not work on USB 3.0--per customer support)

2. Connect MJ+ to Time Capsule.

3. Connect phone to MJ+.

4. Power on MJ+. (You cannot power MJ+ with USB port on TC).

5. You should see yellow and green lights blinking on the MJ+.

6. If you try to make a call you should get 'Error 1' on the speaker.

7. Go to Terminal and type 'arp -na' and look for MAC address (the address with the ':') associated with an ip address you don't recognize.

Example:

$ arp -na

? (10.1.1.24) at 5c:96:cb:6c:f9:a on en0 ...

etc...

8. Go to Airport Utility, click on your router and Edit.

9. Go to the Network tab.

10. Add a DHCP reservation

11. Fill in all 4 fields. Make sure you reserve by the MAC address and choose an ip address outside DHCP range.

12. Update your Airport.

13. Unplug and restart your MJ+.

14. Enjoy your MJ+.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Time Capsule 802.11n (4th Gen), Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Nov 7, 2013 7:40 PM

12 replies

Nov 29, 2013 12:19 PM in response to Jay Halleaux

OK I have been stuggling with this since I upgraded my Time Capsule to the most recent firmware. I have tried to use the MJ utility to assign a static IP address and opened up the recommended ports etc. Nothing worked the MJ just kept recycling. I had 2 replacements sent from MJ since thier support is terribly inept. Your fix seems to work so far but I don't understand why the nornal DHCP would not work. Why did it take the reservation to make it work. It has only been half an hour and I hope it continues to work. Anyway thanks for sharing.

Mar 6, 2014 7:30 PM in response to Jay Halleaux

Hi Jay,

I have the Magic Jack Plus 2014, which is basically the same. I running Mavericks as well, and use Airport Extreme 7.6.4.

I connected the MJ to power with the USB adapter, also to the phone and Airport with the Ethernet cable. I see blue and green light on the magic jack, although I don't see the port on the back of the airport extreme lit with the light indicating connection.

I was going through the steps, but I'm not quite sure if i'm missing something, I think I did not understand the "Make sure you reserve by the MAC address and choose an ip address outside DHCP range." What would be the DHCP outside the range?

Appreciate your guidance on this. Regards,

Mar 6, 2014 8:38 PM in response to j82

When you setup the IP address for your router aka 10.0.0.xxx etc you set a range of ip addresses for the all the devices that are going to connect to it. Normally I believe it is set between 1 - 200. The actual ip address however can go from 1-255. So when you choose an ip address you make sure the last part is not in the set range otherwise you can have ip address conflict between a static ip (the one you set in the reservation) and the dynamic ip (set by the router) addresses. So if your range is set from 1 - 200, for example, then you set the ip address any number between 201 and 255. It is your choice.

Mar 6, 2014 9:50 PM in response to Jay Halleaux

Hi Jay,

Thank you for the help. I've been trying to set the new port for the Magic Jack, But I think i'm having trouble identifying the ip address for the magic jack.

Do you know if there's some picture tutorials around so i can put exactly the right number on the right fields? for example as of right now I have only my apple tv and modem connected to the airport and the terminal.

When I connected the magic jack I did see 1 new line, but following the steps above I put for example "24:ab:81:b8:59:9c" on the DHCP and 10.0.1.3 which i believe should be outside the range right? then i disconnected the magic jack and then plugged it in again, and then nothing on the phone.

<Personal Information Edited by Host>

Mar 6, 2014 9:06 PM in response to j82

Please edit your post! Do not post actual MAC addresses or only partial, since they are unique and they can be used to hack your computer.

Also the ip address at 10.0.1.1 is likely your computer and not the magic jack. If your magic jack and apple tv are both connected you should see three addresses not 2.

And the 10.0.1.3 is definitely within the range.

If your range is between 1-200. Then all ip address between 10.0.1.1 - 10.0.1.200 would be reserved for your DHCP.

Have you made sure that you can call from your computer and when the magic jack is connected you get an error 1 message?

Edit: Make sure your apple tv is on. The 10.0.1.255 might be your magic jack if your apple tv has been off for awhile.

Jul 12, 2016 5:11 AM in response to Jay Halleaux

Jay, I use the USB for my printer currently so it isn't available for the MJ unfortunately and have been trying to use a ethernet cable from my spare port to the MJ Plus which is plugged into a power bar nearby. I have set the DHCp as noted at 250 (so outside the range of 0-200, but within the 255 limit) and have opened ports 5060 & 5070. Everything works great except calls (both incoming and outgoing) get cut off after 5-10 minutes with an Error 1 (check your internet connection message). I have the latest airport extreme and the latest firmware 7.7.7 installed.

Any thoughts?

How to setup Apple Routers with Magic Jack Plus (MJ+)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.