Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mavericks' iMovie won't export project to Final Cut Pro

Upon updating to Mavericks and its accompanying versions of iLife, I do not see where the option in iMovie to open a project in Final Cut Pro X is.

Likewise, attempting to import an iMovie project from Final Cut only creates a blank project with the iMovie project name and then crashes Final Cut Pro.

Is there any way to regain this feature?

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Nov 7, 2013 7:37 PM

9 replies

Nov 7, 2013 7:46 PM in response to MrAwesome

You should still have the older iMovie version? If so, you can export your project from iMovie 10 to the desktop; it'll be an ,mp4 file. Use the older iMovie version or MPEG Streamclip to get it into a format FCP can handle. From my limited tries, it appears the new iMovie version is not made to work with the old iMovie, FCP or iDVD or burn software - it is cloud-centric, made for fast processing and uploading to the internet.

Nov 7, 2013 10:52 PM in response to babowa

Previous version of iMovie is gone, unfortunately. I have been exporting the MP4's and importing them into Final Cut, yes, but it has cost me many hours of redundant work since my iMovie projects were not finished and the new version modified them (transitions are timed differently, titles are all forced into a build-in & build-out, about 4 other nussance regressions).

Big dissapointment. Cost me 2 video deadlines already.

Hopefully Apple fixes this.

Nov 9, 2013 12:10 AM in response to MrAwesome

Now there's no telling if I can upload videos longer than 15 minutes in the Mavericks iMovie. Definetely couldnt in the old iMovie even though my YT account permitted it. Now I can't export to desktop to upload the movie that way. Also failure's are quite common uploading using iMovie. Big disappointment with this new version of iMovie.

Feb 2, 2014 4:04 AM in response to AppleMan1958

AppleMan1958 wrote:

If you are on iMovie 10.0.2, use FILE/SEND MOVIE TO FINAL CUT PRO. If you are not on 10.0.2, let us know what you are on.

This sends the iMovie to FCPX 10.1. If you are not on FCPX 10.1, it will not work.

I recently tried this with one of my iMovie 10 projects and it all worked perfectly. Nothing changed in Final Cut Pro X (unlike when using the previous method with iMovie '11). All clips, titles, transitions, audio tracks, edit points and so forth were intact. I was then able to add further embellishments in FCP X. It's a delight using FCP X, given its flexibility and greatly expanded feature set compared to iMovie 10.

Here's the iMovie 10 Help topic:

http://help.apple.com/imovie/mac/10.0/#movcbf7e2a3f

John

PS Compound clips are magic (when needed)!

Message was edited by: John Cogdell - Added PS

Mavericks' iMovie won't export project to Final Cut Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.