Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2011 Mac Pro: USB Bluetooth 4.0 dongle

Hello,

Like many others I have been having Bluetooth connection issues with my Mac Pro. So I bought a $15 USB 4.0 bluetooth dongle. How do I verify that my Mac Pro is using the bluetooth from the USB dongle rather than the internal bluetooth?

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 7, 2013 9:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2013 9:35 AM

How about following trick? It's a early 2009 Mac Pro, though.

http://oliverwolfson.com/apple-mac-pro-bluetooth-issue-solved/

4 replies

Nov 8, 2013 9:53 AM in response to kaz-k

Thank you; that is helpful. If possible, I'd like to avoid going in and removing wires, etc. From everything I have read, the bluetooth antenna is very close to and similar-looking to the wifi antenna, so I don't want to mess it up.

I also read elsewhere that if you plug in a USB bluetooth dongle, the Mac Pro will automatically recognize it and start using it. I'm just hoping for a way to verify that the Mac is actually doing this (using the dongle, not the internal bluetooth). Is there a way to determine that?

Nov 8, 2013 11:57 AM in response to ryharv

yes. Go to system preferences, then "about this Mac' then go to Bluetooth. The dongle should be listed there when it's plugged in, last I checked. It should also show up under the bluetooth menu at the top of your screen, perhaps. I used an iogear BT dongle for the same problem you had, didn't cost me $15, but it worked. oddly the newer and better version of that works under SL just fine. That one I bought before wouldn't, and I hadn't upgraded to that yet so I exchanged it for an older version...problem solved

J.B.

2011 Mac Pro: USB Bluetooth 4.0 dongle

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.