Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why Apple can't undo its mistake?

I wanna point out a big issue with the whole process of two-step verification system. First of all, I need you to know that I was usung my apple id for four years and I spent nearly 400$ on apps and still had 200$ to spend. Moreover, the total value of id was more than that since I had bought many apps on discount. Anyway, 3 days ago I slept and when I woke up, noticed that my id was blocked for security reasons and that I should reset my password. I did what I was told, however, I was required to enter my recovery key. Now, there begins that huge flaw. I've forgotten it (I know it was my responsibility to remember it). When I click on the "Lost your recovery key?" I'm directed to another page on which it says a lost recovery key can be renewed by signing-in to the account and so on. Interestingly, Apple has blocked my id itself so there is no way to sign-in and get a new recovery key. I called Apple support and talked to them for over an hour. They tried various methods. Nothing worked.

Among things they tried was changing my iforgot.apple.com page in a way to use e-mail authentication or security questions. Unbelievably, the system didn't allow me to use either of options!

I was furious. I remember that I was just yelling at John (Apple support) who was trying to calm me. After wasting one hour and fifteen minutes this was their solution:

"Create new account and ,perhaps, don't use two-step verification again."

The last part hurt the most. I felt dumb. Yes, I was heedless not to properly ssave my recovery key and I accept reprcussions. But, when we hear NSA evesdropping and spying on the Chancellor of Germany, I can't help myself thinking how difficult it can be for Apple to flip the switch and undo what it has done, blocking the account.

So, I spent the rest of day feeling like you know what. I actually created new account and pirated all Apple Mac applications. I know that my feelings for Apple will not be straight again, and that I'm gouing to jailbreak all iDevices I own to exploit poor developers' hardworking. But, this is Apple who should feel ashamed that made such a cumbersome process that even itself can't or doesn't want to bypass it.

Here are my suggestions:

First: after completion of enabling two-step verification, an email is sent. It would be much better to add the recovey key as an attachment to it. My email was the first place that I looked for it.

Scond: Google's two step verification is more powerful and well-thaought-out. It is bound to your mobile phone and it is much harder to lose your mobile phone than a piece of a paper or a file that your recovery key is on it.

Third: When I asked Apple the reason that caused blocking my account, they said that some A**H**E attempted many times to sign in to it. So, I don't believe blocking my id was a good deterrant and it did more harm than good. Apple blocked my account to protect me but instead it costed me 600$. It would be better to warn me or ask me to change my password than blocking it.

And my question is: Why Apple can't unblock my account when I am its legitimate owner. I just don't get it. Shall I pursue justice in court rooms, or will Apple stop being such a mischeavous pestering child who asks for more cash.

And Steve Jobs said and I quote : "Why join the navy if you can be a pirate?"

iPad, iOS 7.0.3, Apple ID

Posted on Nov 7, 2013 10:40 PM

4 replies

Nov 9, 2013 8:08 AM in response to Hamed2013

I have the same problems with Apple ID that someone attempted to login my account many times, and Apple disabled my account automatically without any email notice. I think that is the epic fail bug that after your account get blocked then all of your devices associated with this id will get kick out also. This is totally fail process to recovery your account with two-step verification. I tried what the support said to iforgot.apple.com, and I do have my recovery key and truth devices which I can't receive the temporary pin codes anymore. I don't understand how can Apple design a fail process that against their own recovery system. I also spent about an hour with Support Advisor and got the same answer with Hamed2013 that Apple can't help with this situation.

Apr 23, 2014 8:51 AM in response to Hamed2013

I just began having this exact same problem. Two days ago, I made free-app purchase that required my account credentials (my email and a 20 character password). For some reason, yesternight, when browsing my email, I got a pop-up saying my iCloud email password was incorrect. So, I tapped the "Settings" button and and attempted entering my 20 characted password, it kept rejecting it to the point where my account was blocked and I had to reset my password.

For whatever stupid reason, Apple has yet again made it's own proprietary definition of another thing, this time, two-step verification. Last time I checked with Microsoft, Google, Dropbox AND Yahoo!, two-step verification is the use of two know identifications to verify you're the actual owner of the account. These known identifications could be:

- Your password

- A recovery key

- A trusted device/number

- Your email account

- Your rescue email account

- Security questions

Yet Apple ignoramously defines it as having only the first 3. Locking out the possibility of recovering using third-party backup sources...It's unfortunate this sort of practice is justified. They allow the NSA to gain access to anyone's data, yet they can't simply remove a block from an account using 2 of the above latter 4 options.

Spoke to them so-claimed geniuses and a supervisor, and was told the only option is to create a new account. Didn't agree to that, then they said I could try login in again after 8 hours to see if it works.

<Edited by Host>

Why Apple can't undo its mistake?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.