Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How fast internet needed for AirPlay

I am thinking of buying Apple TV for Airplay Mirroring from my MacBook Pro and iPod Touch 5th gen purposes only. Like i want to play games on my mac but have them also on the TV on a bigger screen. But my internet connection is only 25 KB/s. Once a month it is 200-400KB/s, but that only happens for 4GB of data which i use pretty quickly. Please dont tell me how crap internet it is, i already know. I know that it is wayyy to slow for interent streaming, but when its on a local network only about 15 meters away, will i still be able to have no-lag streaming to Apple TV from my Mac? My MacBook Pro is not Retina it is from 2010. And my iPod is iPod Touch 5th gen. If it is too slow, i will have wasted $110, so please dont just guess give an educated answer. Thanks.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Nov 7, 2013 11:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 7, 2013 11:16 PM

You don't need an Internet connection to use AirPlay or AirPlay Mirroring. You just need a router to connect the iPod touch, iPad, iPhone or Mac to the Apple TV, but it doesn't use Internet, so don't worry about the Internet speed.

If you have got a 2010 MacBook Pro, note that it's not compatible with AirPlay Mirroring, which needs an Early 2011 or newer MacBook Pro. To mirror your MacBook Pro's screen onto your Apple TV, use an application like AirParrot or Beamer

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 7, 2013 11:16 PM in response to thecontroller9

You don't need an Internet connection to use AirPlay or AirPlay Mirroring. You just need a router to connect the iPod touch, iPad, iPhone or Mac to the Apple TV, but it doesn't use Internet, so don't worry about the Internet speed.

If you have got a 2010 MacBook Pro, note that it's not compatible with AirPlay Mirroring, which needs an Early 2011 or newer MacBook Pro. To mirror your MacBook Pro's screen onto your Apple TV, use an application like AirParrot or Beamer

How fast internet needed for AirPlay

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.