Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac will not boot

Hello everyone,

I feel as though I'm fighting a lost battle, but just in case, I wanted to know if anyone could help before I throw in the towel.

So my iMac (early 2010, I believe), will not boot.

It gets stuck at the loading screen with the apple logo. The loading globe/icon is there but it just keeps going, and nothing changes. Another loading bar, which I assume is the one that appears when you try to boot in safe mode, shows up for a few seconds and disappears without any progression on the bar.

I've tried booting in safe mode, it doesn't work. The loading bar appears and disappears, that's it.

I've tried booting in recover mode AND internet recovery mode, doesn't work. While attempting to boot in recover mode, the apple logo and loading globe eventually disappear but then the screen is just white and blank, nothing else happens. With internet recover mode, the screen goes black, and immediately turns back on white and blank, but nothing else happens.

I've tried booting using single user mode, doing the fsck command. Tells me "keys are out of order", "HD could not be repaired", "file system was modified".

I've tried resetting the NVRAM with opt + cmd + P + R

I've tried resetting the PRAM, turning off my computer, unplugging everything, waiting 30 seconds, plugging everything back in, waiting 10 seconds, and turning it back on. And when I saw unplug/plugging everything, I just mean the power cord. My mouse and keyboard are wireless, and have not had anything else plugged in.

I do not have a boot disk, bc my os came digital, and I did not make a bootable copy.

I do not have another mac computer to try the target disk mode.

I do not want to go to apple so they can just scrap my HD, and everything that is on it.

I just need to boot it once so I can at least try to back everything up.

So what can I do?

Please, someone save me...

iMac

Posted on Nov 7, 2013 11:02 PM

1 reply

Nov 7, 2013 11:29 PM in response to josukim

I know there aren't a lot of answers for this but, I don't know, maybe someone knows that target disk mode will have a good chance of working. Or is it possible to create a bootable disk, and that'll probably work? Or maybe one of you knows some magical trick to get my booting unstuck.

I just need my computer to boot once, ONCE, so I can back everything up and reformat, bc I know my HD is the problem, I know it's messed up. I just need a way to get it to boot once.

iMac will not boot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.