Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New MBA crashes if clicking during 'going-to-sleep'

I just got a brand new MacBook Air 13" with 128SSD and 8GB Ram

Upgraded to Mavericks and installed all the lastest updates.

It allready happen to me 2 times during the past week that after it goes to sleep, I can't wake it up no matter what i do (only sulition: force shutdown)if

I managed to find out the triger for this problem:

if it goes to sleep -> in that 1-1.5 seconds untill its really sleeping, if I press anything (touchpad click, any key in the keyboard, power button, etc) it crashes, screen stays black, keyboard is still with backlights, but its none responding.

Can someone test this in his MBA ? I want to see if I'm not alone

I read some threads in the forums, but I think my problem is more unique than what I saw.

Thanks for Reading. ,

Ariel.

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 7, 2013 10:56 PM

12 replies

Nov 11, 2013 4:56 AM in response to mjmjchen

Yes, it happen to my 2013 MBA with 10.9 twice today. The screen apparently darken (assume that display sleep was activated), I did not close the lid but I tried to wake it up within about 5 seconds after the screen was dark. And it just wouldn't wake up. It was on battery mode. The only way to wake it up was to force shut down and restart. I even tried closing the screen and waited 15 mins, but to no avail. It was dead!

Dec 22, 2013 11:48 PM in response to Hans Kohlmeyer

I tried this option for my mid 2013 MBA but did not solve the problem. It still freezes when it goes to sleep and if you try to stop the sleep process.

I really do not understand this feature though because for MBA, there is no need to "put HDD to sleep" as it uses SSD, unlike traditional magnetic HDD whereby spinning down will save energy. So, I do not know how by unchecking the option will solve the problem. Maybe it will work with MBP with regular HDD.

Dec 23, 2013 9:26 AM in response to ArielUsingMac

There are hundreds (thousands?) of us who have encountered this. I can now replicate it at will and have done so at dealers to demonstrate. Apple senior advisors have confirmed to me and many others that it is a known fault and they are working on a fix which will be released in due course (nothing more specific than that). Some people are taking their MBA's back for refunds, others just putting up with it in the hope of a fix soon. I've told Apple Care I will give it 4 weeks for a fix and if no joy I will be expecting a refund (Check the waranties and consumer rights legislation for your country).

PlotinusVeritas advises setting sleep to never in Energy Savings Preferences. A good piece of advice which should help, but if you thenshut the lid to get it to sleep instead, you may well find it freezes to black screen when you try to wake it!

Dec 24, 2013 7:58 PM in response to Strawb268

I have changed the pmset to the following and seems to have worked. I use hibernatemode 25 instead of the default 3. Make sure the duration settings for displaysleep, disksleep, sleep and standby are set logically, if not you will get error prompts.

Active Profiles:

Battery Power -1

AC Power -1*

Currently in use:

standbydelay 10800

standby 5

womp 1

halfdim 1

hibernatefile /var/vm/sleepimage

darkwakes 1

networkoversleep 0

disksleep 1

sleep 3

autopoweroffdelay 14400

hibernatemode 25

autopoweroff 1

ttyskeepawake 1

displaysleep 2

acwake 0

lidwake 1

New MBA crashes if clicking during 'going-to-sleep'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.