Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder tabs get stuck on desktop when dragging out

Hello everyone

After the Mavericks update I had some trouble with the new Finder tabs feautures. Whenever I drag a Finder tab and release it on the desktop it seems like it is going to dissapear but during the animation out it freezes. I have attached two screenshots of my desktop where you clearly can see the problem. Does anyone have an idéa how to fix this?

Thank you

Yours sincerenly

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 8, 2013 1:55 AM

7 replies

Jan 31, 2014 9:10 AM in response to qasino

I have the same issue. It is definitely isolated to just my OS X user account, because creating a new user does not display the problem. I have tried booting off a clone and deleting all preference files, application support files, caches, and launchagents. I have also tried quitting any background apps and force quitting apps in activity monitor.

Certainly not a huge problem but definitely annoying. Seems like the easiest way right now to resolve this completely is to create a new OS X user and migrate over, but it doesn't bother me enough to go through that much hassle.

Aug 10, 2014 1:48 AM in response to qasino

I have had this issue with finder also. No problem with this if I created a new user.

Today I tried to delete the finder preference file on my user account. On my user account I had three files in the /Users/Username/Library/Preferences which I deleted. The com.apple.finder.plist and two com.apple.finder.plist.gibberish.

I deleted all thre, and a new com.apple.finder.plist popped up immediately. I deleted that as well, and noticed that a new file was not created at that point. The I rebooted and the com.apple.finder.plist was in place again. Finder was now working as expected. No icons on the dekstop.

Sep 20, 2014 2:09 AM in response to qasino

Hi,

MBPro Retina, me too as well… 😐 … (and this is not the only one problem I have with the Mavericks Finder).

I fear that this is due to some "extra" application or prefs … but I have not idea which one.
I suspect this because me too, logging with another "clean" user account I have not this problem.

But neither quitting all extra applications or booting in Safe boot does not solve anything.
Annoying.

Finder tabs get stuck on desktop when dragging out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.