7 Replies Latest reply: May 20, 2014 9:05 AM by My Last Confession
szaboz Level 1 (0 points)

I have three mail accounts at Gmail. Two of them are private accounts like john.doe@gmail.com, while the third one is a company account with a custom domain using Google Apps as a mail provider (the address is like johndoe@example.com).

I configured Mail.app to connect to Gmail through IMAP for each of the three accounts.

I have installed Mavericks right after it became available and even a lot of people reported problems with Mail.app, I had no issues at all. Everything was working just fine.

Today I have installed the update for Mail.app and iTunes...etc, and I am experiencing problems with my emials.

The private accounts still working fine, but my company account has problems. The symptoms are:

- Neither inbox or subfolders or sent mails (labels in Gmail) does not sync read messages with Gmail, I only get the new messages automatically

- All Mail folder shows all of my old emails, so it syncs perfectly

- Smart mailboxes show the messages correctly, but they "find" the corresponding messages in All Mails folder instead of Inbox

- If I set a message to unread in Gmail in a browser window, then the message appears in Mail.app

- If I click a message (open) in Gmail in a browser window, then the message appears in Mail.app

Very strange behaviour and I have no clue how to fix it. I have tried to rebuild the account and also to remove and to re-add the account. Nothing helps, I am experiencing the same problems.

As I said, the other, private accounts are just working fine...

Any idea?

I have got a MBP with retina display, 16Gb RAM bought early this year.

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9)
  • dswohl Level 1 (0 points)

Fix for Mail problems in Apple's OS X Mavericks making its way through AppleSeed testing

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/11/07/apples-mavericks-mail-update-released- to-developers-after-appleseed-testing

• dustda01 Level 1 (25 points)

The fix is out today. Get it through the App Store update page or at http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1703 - "Mail Update for Mavericks". Details of the update are found at http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6030.

• szaboz Level 1 (0 points)

Thank you for the information. I am sorry if I was not clear in my first post, but http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6030 update is what messed up everything. Mail.app was working fine with Gmail with the original Mavericks, but after installing the above update I started to experience the described problems.

• Brock Freeman Level 1 (20 points)

With the update, smart mailboxes are showing all matching messages as being located in All Mail, even though I put them in folders. This is one of the issues mentioned by szaboz.

• szaboz Level 1 (0 points)

It may help:

What I did over the weekend is exactly the opposite what every forum recommends... I have turned off All Mail to be shown in IMAP on Gmail. I have also noticed that Important mailbox had appeared in Mail.app (corresponding to the Important label in Gmail), so I turned that off as well.

Now all of my messages are synced (the old ones as well) and seems everything is working fine. Smart mailboxes are showing the messages from the right folder as well.

I am goint to try to turn on the All Mail again to see what's happen...

• superwhatever Level 1 (0 points)

Turning OFF All Mail also seems to be working for me - at least as of 5 minutes ago. As szaboz indicates, this latest problem didn't pop up until after the recent update.  Note that I originally turned it ON prior to the last update, to address the earlier gmail/mail.app problems right after Mavericks came out.  So we'll see how long this one lasts...

• My Last Confession Level 1 (60 points)

When you guys say turn ON and OFF, are you referring to "show in IMAP" checkbox in the "Labels" tab in gmail?  As superwhatever mentioned, Apple initially told me to make sure these are showing so that Mail.app picks them up.  If I uncheck "All Mail" and "Important" wont that just mkae Mail.app skip downloading thosemessages that are in Important and All Mail?  Instead shouldn't Mail.app's "Inbox" be set to also incorporate those message that are in Important and All Mail?  This was so much of a headach for me back when the original problem surface that I just stopped using Mail.app and purchased Mailmate.  Since then though, I'm missing certain key functions that Mail.app has and want to take another stab at resolving this.

On my iphone it shows that I have 18 unread messages for my company account, while in Mail.app it shows only 2 unread.  The other 16 are found in "Important."  how does this get fixed?